You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
bintsmok commented on 9 February 2018 at 5:30 am UTC

Samsai
bintsmokWill an RX Vega work on my system with Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (Linux kernel 4.13) + Mesa 17.3.2 ?

An RX 480 8GB is currently installed on my PC. What would happen if swap it with RX Vega 56 / 64?

Thanks
It won't. RX Vega needs the DC patches which I believe landed in kernel 4.15, so you need to update the kernel to take advantage of the GPU. If you swapped the GPU now you'd probably end up with some kind of a fallback mode without graphics acceleration or a straight-up black screen.

So, I really have to wait for Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS? I read on Phoronix that it will be on Linux kernel 4.15.

Thanks

PublicNuisance commented on 11 February 2018 at 4:53 am UTC

bintsmok
Samsai
bintsmokWill an RX Vega work on my system with Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (Linux kernel 4.13) + Mesa 17.3.2 ?

An RX 480 8GB is currently installed on my PC. What would happen if swap it with RX Vega 56 / 64?

Thanks
It won't. RX Vega needs the DC patches which I believe landed in kernel 4.15, so you need to update the kernel to take advantage of the GPU. If you swapped the GPU now you'd probably end up with some kind of a fallback mode without graphics acceleration or a straight-up black screen.

So, I really have to wait for Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS? I read on Phoronix that it will be on Linux kernel 4.15.

Thanks

One other option is to manually update the kernel to 4.15. You can do so from a site such as the mainline kernels:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

(copy and paste all that into your browser, not wanting to link properly for me)

There may be a PPA out there as well. I use the mainline kernels on my Mint machine rather than wait for Mint to update them. Another option is to use a rolling distro such as Solus, Manjaro or Antergos. If you wish to stick with Ubuntu and not to wait for the 18.04 to hit then the mainline kernels may be the best compromise.

Shmerl commented on 11 February 2018 at 5:39 pm UTC

bintsmokSo, I really have to wait for Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS?

Ubuntu should allow installing newer kernels. If it doens't for some reason, you can try another distro.

bintsmok commented on 12 February 2018 at 4:15 am UTC

Would that not cause stability problems? Why doesn't Ubuntu offer kernel upgrades by default?

Thanks

Shmerl commented on 12 February 2018 at 4:16 am UTC

Ubuntu isn't aimed at providing latest features. So it's not a priority. Rolling distros usually are focused on that.

drlamb commented on 12 February 2018 at 2:10 pm UTC

When I used ubuntu I used the ukuu tool to install newer kernels for me. A lot easier for me to deal with than tracking down all of the required debs (at least for someone embedded in the redhat ecosystem).

Link

bintsmok commented on 10 March 2018 at 1:01 pm UTC

How do I roll back to Mesa 17.3.2?

I just updated to Mesa 17.3.6, Serious Sam 3 and The Talos Principle won't display correctly when in Vulkan mode. Other games run fine.

Shmerl commented on 14 March 2018 at 2:19 am UTC

bintsmokHow do I roll back to Mesa 17.3.2?

I just updated to Mesa 17.3.6, Serious Sam 3 and The Talos Principle won't display correctly when in Vulkan mode. Other games run fine.

Mesa 17.3.x is pretty broken. Use mesa-master for now.

bintsmok commented on 14 March 2018 at 4:40 am UTC

Shmerl
bintsmokHow do I roll back to Mesa 17.3.2?

Mesa 17.3.x is pretty broken. Use mesa-master for now.

How to do that?

Shmerl commented on 14 March 2018 at 4:47 am UTC

bintsmokHow to do that?

This can give you an idea: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Building_Mesa_from_source

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts