Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
5120x2160 VS 3840x1080
Ne0 Jan 9, 2018
Which resolution is the future of Computers ?

my personal opinion...
4K Super-Ultrawide 3840x1080 Monitor: better for VR movies, games, VR Internet browsing
5K Ultrawide 5120x2160 Monitor: better for everything else
g000h Jan 9, 2018
I think regular 4K 16:9 ( 3840 x 2160 ) is a better resolution than your suggested super-ultrawide 3840 x 1080 one. The prevalence of 4K will probably mean we are heading for 8K (and upscaling to 8K from 4K) in the more distant future.

Also, I think HDR content (in games, movies, photos) is going to have very high impact in the future. We're only seeing a very small number of titles supporting it so far.

For me, you need a very big screen to truly take advantage of 4K and beyond. 4K 27 inch monitor is pointless (for instance). 4K at 48 inches (monitor size) would be ideal. I run 4K on 40 inch monitor right now.

With TV viewing, 4K makes sense for screens 60 inches and bigger.
TheRiddick Jan 13, 2018
Yeah if your watching 1080p content for sure. However once 4k blurays become the normal, then it should be a nice move to 2160p for video content. I have been using 2160p for the past few years without regrets, except I have struggled with having enough GPU power.

Only recently did I put a pre-order down for a 1080ti card, I wish miners were not still buying these like mad but it appears that's still happening. I envision a e-waste landfill of GPU cards in the future from this mining craze because by the time they try and sell these burnt out 1080ti's, everyone will be using 3080s or something.
Pit Jan 13, 2018
My last two new screens had been 140dpi (14" Laptop, 2560x1440) and 180dpi (workstation, 24" 4k), and they are far from pointless (to me). Believe me, I don't want to go back to less than 100dpi.

The 4k vertical resolution is a good start for making the monitor wider, so my guess/wish would definitely be the 5k.

And then there is of course also those new curved ones with up to double-wide panels. I hope more of those to come.
How about an 7680x2160 with the same screen height as my 24" (30cm). Nominally (diagonal) that would be 43". I'd probably get one :D

As for Video format - I don't care for a monitor. Those I use for work. Videos are for the TV, and those will most likely stay 16:9, i.e., 4k -> 8k.

My 2¢
slaapliedje Jan 13, 2018
Quoting: PitMy last two new screens had been 140dpi (14" Laptop, 2560x1440) and 180dpi (workstation, 24" 4k), and they are far from pointless (to me). Believe me, I don't want to go back to less than 100dpi.

The 4k vertical resolution is a good start for making the monitor wider, so my guess/wish would definitely be the 5k.

And then there is of course also those new curved ones with up to double-wide panels. I hope more of those to come.
How about an 7680x2160 with the same screen height as my 24" (30cm). Nominally (diagonal) that would be 43". I'd probably get one :D

As for Video format - I don't care for a monitor. Those I use for work. Videos are for the TV, and those will most likely stay 16:9, i.e., 4k -> 8k.

My 2¢

I agree with you. I have two workstations, one which I also use for gaming. The gaming one I built first with 2 2560x1440 monitors with G-Sync. The other one is 2 3840x2160 with FreeSync. I absolutely LOVE that I can fit more browsers/terminals/etc on the 4k screens. They're all 27" and I think that's just about the right size for it to make a difference. If they were 21" or smaller, then yes I'd agree the 2k and 4k resolutions would be pointless.
HerrLange Feb 2, 2018
I'm in between :-)

Actual resolution is 3840x1600 on 38''

From the two resolution in the thread opening I would prefer the 5k resolution. However in that case the Monitor should have 40'' or more.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.