Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
RX 580 Overheating
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
DaiKaiser93 Jan 12, 2018
So as the title says my RX 580 is overheating, I can't check the temp because lm-sensors doesn't work, but the case gets extremely hot, does anybody know how to alleviate this?

System: Host: k3rb3r0s Kernel: 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: Mobo: Micro-Star model: B350 GAMING PLUS (MS-7A34) v: 4.0
Bios: American Megatrends v: M.10 date: 05/09/2017
CPU: Quad core AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (-HT-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28000
clock speeds: max: 3499 MHz 1: 3499 MHz 2: 3499 MHz 3: 3499 MHz 4: 3499 MHz 5: 3499 MHz 6: 3499 MHz
7: 3499 MHz 8: 3499 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67df bus-ID: 23:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-26-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.1 - padoka PPA Direct Rendering: Yes
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (17.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EARX size: 1000.2GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 1000.2GB
Optical: No optical drives detected.
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: No active sensors found. Have you configured your sensors yet? mobo: N/A gpu: 32.0
Info: Processes: 247 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 986.9/7990.3MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
Xpander Jan 12, 2018
depends whats extremely hot. videocards usually work fine up to 85°C, though 65-75°C would be the better average for videocards with non-ref designs, but that ofc depends. Do you have blower style cooler on your GPU? whats your Case configuration? fans? maybe its too closed system.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 12, 2018
Quoting: Xpanderdepends whats extremely hot. videocards usually work fine up to 85°C, though 65-75°C would be the better average for videocards with non-ref designs, but that ofc depends. Do you have blower style cooler on your GPU? whats your Case configuration? fans? maybe its too closed system.

Well the case is a Phantek Eclipse P400, I got 1 intake fan in front and 1 output fan in the back, the GPU is a MSI RX 580 GAMING PLUS 8GB, what freaks me is the fact that the case frame itself becomes hot.

Also, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the Open Source drivers can make AMD GPUs run hot, is there any truth to that? Sorry if I sound like a n00b but I just got this card for my birthday, before that I was running my rig with a EVGA GTX 960 and I didn't had any problems with it (been using Linux Mint since 17 Dec, 2016) and I just noticed the heat when I was playing Hand of Fate 2.

Either way thanks for the rather quick response.
Xpander Jan 12, 2018
Maybe someone else, who owns AMD GPUs can point you to software to check temps and maybe see if your GPU is downclocking correctly or spinning fans correctly. Some games might heat up the GPU when they dont have FPS caps, for example in menus, FPS can go up to 1000 or more and it will heat the card quite a bit, for that its good to use tool called libstrangle, which makes you able to cap the framerate for your monitor refresh rate for example, but without the introduction of input lag that vsync causes.
crt0mega Jan 12, 2018
Quoting: XpanderMaybe someone else, who owns AMD GPUs can point you to software to check temps and maybe see if your GPU is downclocking correctly or spinning fans correctly.
Mesa's GALLIUM_HUD might help.
GALLIUM_HUD=help glxinfo -B
This will print all the options you can display in your HUD.
nox Jan 12, 2018
It's also worth noting that lm-sensors should be able to pick up on your card. Did you run sensor-detect?

You can also install radeon-profile to check usage, fan speed etc. You can also set up custom fan curves etc, super handy.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 13, 2018
Quick update:
Thanks to all off you who commented on this, sorry for not making a reply, but I was at work for most of the day.
Maybe the problem was that I had removed the v-sync option on the drirc file?(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Turn_vsync_off), I reversed the change but I'm yet to test it out.

Probably tomorrow I will post the results.
Rhythagoras Jan 13, 2018
Quoting: crt0mega
Quoting: XpanderMaybe someone else, who owns AMD GPUs can point you to software to check temps and maybe see if your GPU is downclocking correctly or spinning fans correctly.
Mesa's GALLIUM_HUD might help.
GALLIUM_HUD=help glxinfo -B
This will print all the options you can display in your HUD.

Sure helped me out in diagnosing my RX580. GPU temp read correctly with the 'temperature' option for my particular card.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 13, 2018
Quoting: DaiKaiser93Quick update:
Thanks to all off you who commented on this, sorry for not making a reply, but I was at work for most of the day.
Maybe the problem was that I had removed the v-sync option on the drirc file?(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Turn_vsync_off), I reversed the change but I'm yet to test it out.

Probably tomorrow I will post the results.

Update:
Still no luck, the GPU sounds like a jet engine
DaiKaiser93 Jan 13, 2018
Quoting: noxIt's also worth noting that lm-sensors should be able to pick up on your card. Did you run sensor-detect?

You can also install radeon-profile to check usage, fan speed etc. You can also set up custom fan curves etc, super handy.

Yeah I already runned sensor-detect but at the end It says it can't detect any sensors, apparently it's because I'm using Ryzen.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 14, 2018
So I ended up adding 3 Cooler Master fans in the front as intakes and moved the one I had to the top as an exhaust, the GPU doesn't seem to get too hot, I don't get crashes and the case doesn't feel like a grill, so apparently it was the lack of airflow.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.