Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Editors Discussion
Page: «30/36»
  Go to:
Cheeseness Apr 21, 2014
Looks good. The only direct feedback I have is that 7a doesn't describe what constitutes spam.

One other thought - in regards to item 2, where the qualifier is that there's no intent to offend, that may not be enough. There are situations where somebody may act in a way that's not intentionally offensive (or offensive to the people they're interacting with), but which are offensive to casual observers, which in turn can lead people who might otherwise have become a part of the community to decide that it's not for them. The classic example is two friends who call each other names for fun end up giving the impression that bigotry is tolerated within the community to people who aren't aware of that relationship.

Another thing I'd suggest adding is that when talking about why something has had to be deleted or locked, or an account has to be banned, behaviours are what should be commented on rather than individuals ("you have acted inappropriately" vs "you are inappropriate"). I talk a little bit about why this is important in my recent article on community management.
Liam Dawe Apr 22, 2014
The SSL certificate is now installed, I purchased a domain validation one rather than a simple self-signed cert as people kept asking for one.

Report any issues you find when using https :)
HadBabits Apr 24, 2014
Hey, Liam. I've noticed some things that are a bit off with the admin CP.

When managing articles in dark theme the text box is not accessible:

Also, I noticed when managing articles by category (e.g. Action) the thumbnails are shown, as opposed to when you view all there are none and your left with error messages at the top.

Note: The themes are different because I first thought that was the cause, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've also tested this both ways with Chromium and Firefox and so it doesn't seem to be browser related.

And can you please put the view all category at the top; we have a lot of categories :)

Oh, and one more thing. The like button doesn't seem to work for me in either browser.

Edit: The like button started working for me suddenly (unless Liam is just that good ;)) I'll just assume I was doing something silly.
Hamish Apr 25, 2014
I just tried to do some clean up on Xpander's (mostly excellent) Roccat Ryos MK Glow review but found that there was no submit button for changes. Or a comments box for that matter.
Liam Dawe Apr 25, 2014
@hadbabits: The issues have been fixed apart from the Page 1 issue, you can access it tho just close the tab and open it :)

The like button is probably you have old cache somewhere :)

@Hamish I always forget something, Editing added, comments will take time to put in.
HadBabits Apr 25, 2014
Stellar. Thanks, Liam :)
Liam Dawe Apr 30, 2014
Okay guys we need a system for the admin review queue and the user submission queue that prevents people from overwriting each-others changes.

Was thinking something similar to what wordpress does and tell you that someone else is editing it along with the time they started with the option of unlocking it if it's really needed.

Although if someone has a better idea I'm all for it.

Just want to prevent wiping each others work.
Cheeseness Apr 30, 2014
In a shared calendar system that I wrote once, I implemented a warning if somebody tried to edit a field that somebody else had open, and when saving, showed you both and gave you the option of which one to keep. I don't think that the second part is very useful here, but some kind of notice that the edit page had been loaded by another user might be helpful (I guess this is the same as locking more or less)?

Alternatively, if you're up for some work, it looks like PHP can patch strings from diffs and allow you to merge some concurrent changes automatically.
Liam Dawe Apr 30, 2014
Quoting: CheesenessIn a shared calendar system that I wrote once, I implemented a warning if somebody tried to edit a field that somebody else had open, and when saving, showed you both and gave you the option of which one to keep. I don't think that the second part is very useful here, but some kind of notice that the edit page had been loaded by another user might be helpful (I guess this is the same as locking more or less)?

Alternatively, if you're up for some work, it looks like PHP can patch strings from diffs and allow you to merge some concurrent changes automatically.

I would rather not get bogged down with merge systems as they can get rather messy and it could take me too long to get it right, that could be something when I have more free time.
Cheeseness Apr 30, 2014
Quoting: liamdaweI would rather not get bogged down with merge systems as they can get rather messy and it could take me too long to get it right, that could be something when I have more free time.

Yep. As I said, they can be a bit of work.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.