You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Nvidia : fast games, sluggish kwin, noisy :-(
Pit commented on 13 January 2018 at 5:03 pm UTC

Bidinou@riusma : thanks ! At this very moment, nvidia-settings reports : 42°C, fans at 38% speed. Does it report 0% speed for you then ?

@all : after applying the v-sync Tweak, actually, I'm not that sure that's smoother :-/
This one : https://forum.manjaro.org/t/screen-tearing-in-kde-with-nvidia-card/7956/12
Is there a better one ? It must be placebo but I even feel there is a very slight lag even when I'm just typing text ! Does any of you force triple buffering instead (in xorg.conf and/or as an env variable ?)

Not sure - I'm (only) using a tip from here (think from Liam), to set the two options 'Force composition pipeline' and 'Force full Composition Pipeline' in the X Server Display Configuration of nvidia-settings. Without a lot of tearing, with it not. Don't know your standards.

I'm running a 1060 GTX, too (from Asus). T normaly around 39⁰, fan is off then.
Also running plasma/kwin. No real complaints, but the plasma panel (set to autohide) currently leaves artifacts with compositing on (nvidia 384.111). That might be specific here though, I'm running Tumbleweed (Plasma 5.11.5/Kernel 4.14.12)

Bidinou commented on 13 January 2018 at 9:37 pm UTC

@Pit : well, this "force full composition pipeline" setting is supposed to slow down games... I have no tearing actually when I set the variable as specified above. But framerate is inconsistent on the desktop. (while it's a constant 60 FPS with the open source driver or with the Intel HD).

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Company of Heroes 2 (join in!)
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Up: "Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC"
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact