Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How good is System76 Gazelle for gaming?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
buenaventura Jan 17, 2018
Quoting: GuestI don't know how urgent the purchase is for you, but Intel will soon be releasing mobile chips with integrated AMD graphics. They are supposed to start shipping this quarter. Those should make for much better gaming machines.
I don't know if System 76 plan on using those but you can ask if they have plans to use these in their laptops.
HP and Dell will have some with those chips.
I think that System 76 makes great laptops. I've already bought 3 so far for the company I work for. Two have been in use for quite a while without any issues and I just got the 3rd.

Interesting, but I guess they will be more expensive?

Tuxedo is an option, I will compare prices.

With your help I've settled on what I am looking for at least, which is very helpful!
buenaventura Jan 17, 2018
Looking around more, it seems I might just buy a cheap laptop like this:

https://www.komplett.se/product/952796/datorer/datorer-barbara-laptop/alla-barbara-datorer/acer-aspire-5-156-hd-matt#technical-details

Acer Aspire 5 with A10 CPU + Radeon RX540, It's like what I have but newer, and I like the radeon/amdgpu drivers, I think that might be OK for me. It's much cheaper (745 dollars), and I presume it will work fine with linux. The cheapest linux laptop I can find in Sweden is http://www.ggsdata.se/index.php?page=laptops/n240wu8250.php for ca. 990 dollars. Its a good one but I might have to go cheap.

The RX540 should suffice for playing some games I guess? Like Shadow Tactics. It has "2gb dedicated VRAM", Polaris 12 chipset with arctic island GPU, GCN gen 4. Hmmm. Or what do you think?

Edit3: Ill just make a new thread with these new updated questions, if no one minds. ^___^'
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.