You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Ubuntu 18.04 Data Collection
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 Feb 21, 2018
QuoteThis would be checked by default.

This is what's wrong with this idea and it's no different than the bundled software commonly found in a many Windows installers.

If my memory serves me, even Debian asks for something similar during installation, except it's turned off by default. As an online privacy-aware person, I'm fine with what they want to collect but it's very badly executed.
scaine Feb 23, 2018
Pfff, the whining. The reaction to this stuff drives me nuts.

The hypocrisy is the worst. The same people crying about Ubuntu and smugly sitting on Arch, Fedora or others, will still happily play games on Unity (https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy) which collects nearly identical information on game launch, and will practically beg for the chance to send the same information to Valve.

Or will use Gmail. Or Facebook. Or Whatsapp. Or just about anything that connects to the internet...

Of course, some of the whiners won't do any of that - they'll be privateers, DRM-free and proud of that stance. Good on them. As long as they understand that they're pretty much irrelevant.
Guppy Feb 23, 2018
Quoting: scaineOr will use Gmail. Or Facebook. Or Whatsapp. Or just about anything that connects to the internet...

There is a difference between every so often stepping into a public space knowing that in order to be there you have to accept that every thing that you do will be recorded for posterity and having to accept that your whole home is now under the same rule set.

As for "just about anything that connects to the internet" with GDPR becoming enforceable on may 25th you are going to see alot of IoT companies dying off as their businessmodel will need to be publicly stated in order for them to comply.

I don't see a lot of people using eg. fitness trackers once they are told that the data is being harvested and sold to insurance companies, but then I am still dumbstruck that people continue to use facebook knowing that they are the product being sold to the highest bidder. Maybe I just have too much faith in humanity...
scaine Feb 24, 2018
Quoting: GuppyAs for "just about anything that connects to the internet" with GDPR becoming enforceable on may 25th you are going to see alot of IoT companies dying off as their businessmodel will need to be publicly stated in order for them to comply.

Well, GDPR is EU only of course, so not sure if it's going to affect this too widely. But now that you mention it, doesn't GDPR have a "privacy by design" clause which specifically forbids opt-out arrangements? They have to be opt-in.

I think. Not completely sure on that point.
devnull Feb 24, 2018
Quoting: scainePfff, the whining. The reaction to this stuff drives me nuts.
I'm confused, they drive you nuts yet you accuse them of not putting their opinions to actions?

Quoting: scaineThe hypocrisy is the worst. The same people crying about Ubuntu and smugly sitting on Arch, Fedora or others, will still happily play games on Unity (https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy) which collects nearly identical information on game launch, and will practically beg for the chance to send the same information to Valve.

Different things entirely. Not even sure you're referring to the same thing was you say Ubuntu. Do you mean this specific thing or people who have a general distaste for Ubuntu?

Officially, Unity and Valve do not automatically send that information to anyone. It could be argued there are things within both ecosystems that leak information (the crashreporter in Steam for example), but that is different from the steam hardware survey which is more inline with what Ubuntu wants. It again is not mandatory nor automatic on install.

Quoting: scaineOr will use Gmail. Or Facebook. Or Whatsapp. Or just about anything that connects to the internet...

Entirely different things again.

Quoting: scaineOf course, some of the whiners won't do any of that - they'll be privateers, DRM-free and proud of that stance. Good on them. As long as they understand that they're pretty much irrelevant.

LOL. K. Thanks for coming out? I mean, technically Linux users are a minority too right? .... Ohh right.
Koopacabras Mar 3, 2018
Quoting: scainePfff, the whining. The reaction to this stuff drives me nuts.

The hypocrisy is the worst. The same people crying about Ubuntu and smugly sitting on Arch, Fedora or others, will still happily play games on Unity (https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy) which collects nearly identical information on game launch, and will practically beg for the chance to send the same information to Valve.

Or will use Gmail. Or Facebook. Or Whatsapp. Or just about anything that connects to the internet...

Of course, some of the whiners won't do any of that - they'll be privateers, DRM-free and proud of that stance. Good on them. As long as they understand that they're pretty much irrelevant.

the only one that stands true to it's principles is R. Stallman. He doesn't use any smartphone at all, and thinks we live in a world wide dictatorship. I really like the FSF but that's a really extreme way of thinking, could fit perfectly as something Alex Jones would say.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.