Feral's attitude towards DRM-free releases?
Page: 1/11»
  Go to:
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
From here, it sounds like Feral can decide whether release games on GOG or not, unlike some explained this before (that their publishers decide that).

To quote the above:

Quote@sbolokanov: I have a question for you guys: Can you decide on what gaming platforms you release your games (as in Steam, GOG, etc.) or that's not up to you at all?

@ellie_feral: If you're wondering who to request GOG releases etc. from, you can certainly put your requests to us and we'll listen. However, GOG isn't viable for us at the moment.

So does it mean Feral are DRM inclined, which causes them to make games Steam exclusives? And what do they exactly mean by "not viable"?
Liam Dawe Apr 11, 2018
I think you're looking the wrong way. Feral likely don't want to push the publisher they get the rights from under a bus, I am still 99% certain they would need the permission of the original publishers, they can't just put it wherever they like.

Naturally, the larger publishers they go for do tend to shy away from GOG for whatever reason. However, this isn't a bad point for Feral, they know what sells on Linux and the games they go for just happen to be Steam-only.
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
Quoting: liamdaweI am still 99% certain they would need the permission of the original publishers, they can't just put it wherever they like.

That's what I always assumed too, but if publishers are the bottleneck, why did @ellie_feral say:

QuoteIf you're wondering who to request GOG releases etc. from, you can certainly put your requests to us and we'll listen.

It would be logical then to say, that it's better to direct such requests to publishers who avoid GOG, since if they would agree, according to that above assumption, Feral wouldn't have any blockers either. Yet, he said that we should request it form Feral. Something doesn't fit here.
tonR Apr 11, 2018
Read it and here's my opinions:

1. They are "porting > publising" companies not developer or game studios, do not owned any IPs and only publishing rights that being gave by IP owners (dev/game studios). Even do they wanted to publish any games DRM - free, the "last word" decision is on IP owners not them.

2. I think they stuck in the middle. Probably some IP owners have "unfriendly" things (hate is strong words) with GOG (or CDPR)? Probably IP owners prefer Feral to sell games on their own Feral store if they allowed DRM - Free?

3. GOG Galaxy problems, probably?

4. Some NDA-restriction they had to follow like cannot touch certain codes which DRM - Free is almost impossible without modified it.

5. Probably Feral thinks GOG lacking many stuffs than Steam. Let's be honest, Steam is de-facto of PC gaming.

6. Lastly, unknown causes...
Avehicle7887 Apr 11, 2018
Interesting choice of words from Feral, I do question why "it's not viable". Much as I wish to see many of their ported games released on GOG, I can quite imagine what that would mean: The Devs/Publisher would have to also release the Windows version, it wouldn't make sense to ignore 90%+ of the store's customer base.

@tonR: Can't argue about point 5. Steam is the first name in PC Gaming, however GOG is probably the largest fish in the sea of non-Steam stores and they released quite a few modern popular games. I think the main problem here is devs/publishers accepting DRM-Free, once that wall is down then there's a chance we'll also see Feral ports.

A good example in this case is Aspyr with their port for Observer and Layers of Fear. The Linux versions are both available on GOG and they are most likely so because the developer/IP Owner gave the green light.
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
Yeah, "not viable" sounds like they have some problem they can't solve at present. And that could fit what Liam said above that publishers are the bottleneck, except as I said, it contradicts what they are saying in the same reply, that we should ask them to release on GOG.

So my only conclusion is that they are either DRM inclined, and until that changes, DRM-free releases are not viable, or GOG somehow reject their games, which would be strange, since GOG aren't averse to releasing games only for some OSes but not for others, even if such versions are available elsewhere. I.e. if GOG can release only for Windows and not for Linux, they should have no problem releasing only for Linux and not for Windows.
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
Quoting: GuestAccording to a mac-using friend, Feral has always been very pro-DRM.

That would explain it, yes. It also could explain why they usually avoid answering direct questions about it. Admitting it openly is quite a bad PR for them. It also could be a combination of both (publishers' and their own attitude). Deciding that they are pro DRM-free, can set some backwards thinking legacy publishers against them.
Xpander Apr 11, 2018
my take on this:

1. Seems they are probably happy Enough with the sales they get from steam and their own store
2. They don't want to have another platform to add into their Support list
3. They are using steam-runtime heavily and don't want to commit to creating everything their own (does GoG have similar runtime lib thing?)
4. They need to convince the original developers/publishers to get into other stores

But maybe they are so against DRM.
They could also release their games on GoG some time after the release on Steam if they are afraid of everybody going to pirate their games, but i guess they just don't want because of the points above.

Its my random thoughts though, some interesting points here.
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
Steam runtime doesn't sound like a strong argument. In the laziest case, they can bundle the whole Steam runtime with their releases. Double Fine did that for Linux version of Grim Fandango GOG release.

It's quite a bloated approach though. It would be proper to only bundle what's strictly necessary (i.e. what's incompatible with system libraries and so on). But as a quick and dirty method it's possible, because Steam runtime consists only of FOSS libraries and is perfectly redistributable.
tonR Apr 11, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887@tonR: Can't argue about point 5. Steam is the first name in PC Gaming, however GOG is probably the largest fish in the sea of non-Steam stores and they released quite a few modern popular games. I think the main problem here is devs/publishers accepting DRM-Free, once that wall is down then there's a chance we'll also see Feral ports.

A good example in this case is Aspyr with their port for Observer and Layers of Fear. The Linux versions are both available on GOG and they are most likely so because the developer/IP Owner gave the green light.
Simple. Some devs/publishers especially AAA ones are GREED! Excluding many great guys like Feral, Aspyr, VP and lots of Indies. They want "recurrent monetisation" a.k.a give them more monies. DRM is one of many ways to monetisation (eg. one copy per account, sharing restricting is much better).

I'm apologies to all GOL readers but i had to say it. Sometimes, I'm very disappointed with some GOL readers' delusion especially on AAA games and/or publishers.
For example, asking Feral to port the games which that game publisher is totally hate and openly hostile to Linux in general (except if they want to build Linux game servers). Why we need beg to them? They hate us (and our money).

But, if they apologies and/or showing "good faith" on Linux to win us (and our money) back. We should show the "love" back to them. Simple.
Shmerl Apr 11, 2018
Quoting: tonRDRM is one of many ways to monetisation (eg. one copy per account, sharing restricting is much better).

Well, except it isn't. DRM doesn't increase sales as known. So it can't feed greed. What it feeds is usually feeling of control (false one at that).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.