Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[Fixed] Notification links
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Ehvis Apr 20, 2018
Something appears to have changed with the links from the notifications. It now put me at the last new post instead of the first unread post like it used to do. Since this new behaviour is not really practical, I assume it's a bug.
Liam Dawe Apr 20, 2018
Massive apologies about this, seems it was linked to another issue someone reported to me.

When updating the code a week ago, I was trying to be smart (doh!) and ended bundling together the code that updates notifications, regardless of if you've read them or not it would update the existing row.

I've since split this back as it should, to simply add to the total if you haven't seen it and overwrite it if you have seen it with the new details.
Ehvis Apr 20, 2018
Thanks! It appears to be back to normal.
Eike Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for fixing it this fast!
You're really dedicated to your website!
Liam Dawe Apr 20, 2018
Good news, one less thing to deal with ;)
Salvatos Apr 24, 2018
Not sure if related to the same bug, but for at least 2 days now my notification links keep sending me to the very bottom of the page instead of scrolling to the comment in question.
Example link: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-has-removed-the-steam-machine-section-from-steam.11505/page=6#r120557

Looking at the page source there's only one element with that id and it seems to be where it should, so I'm not sure what is going on. Using Firefox 59.0.2, no active addons that should be getting in the way.
Liam Dawe Apr 25, 2018
That's unrelated and will be browser dependent. It's simply using HTML anchor links, so if it's not working there's literally nothing I can do to help really.
tuubi Apr 25, 2018
I mostly fails for me too on firefox, but clicking the address bar and hitting enter jumps to the right comment.

Liam: You could set the scroll position with javascript after everything is loaded. That should work but probably overkill.

EDIT: Also maybe highlight the linked comment?
Ehvis Apr 25, 2018
Also using FF59, but I have no problems with it. Both on Linux at home and Windows at work.

[edit]

Ok, I need to change that. This one fails consistently:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-now-officially-available-on-linux-heres-a-look-at-it-with-benchmarks.11576/page=20#r120609

If can copy/paste this link into a new tab. It will load the page, then a short flash where it will actually be at the correct post after which it will move to the bottom of the page.
Liam Dawe Apr 25, 2018
FYI, to link directly to comments properly, you need to copy the link. As it's different for everyone based on how many they set to display per-page.

So: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-now-officially-available-on-linux-heres-a-look-at-it-with-benchmarks.11576/comment_id=120609

I can now confirm the issue, but only in Firefox, works 100% of the time in Chrome. Will investigate.
Salvatos Apr 25, 2018
Could it be related to the "Click to view long quote from..." feature? I assume the page loads all content then it gets shrunk with JS, and that throws Firefox off somehow?

Though Ehvis's link above works as expected for me every time and there's long quotes in it too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.