You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal!
  Go to:
Taking on the anything but XFCE challenge
codythedragondude commented on 24 May 2018 at 2:02 pm UTC

So i decided to go outside of my comfort zone and distro hop like a madman until i found something i could settle on.here is my findings and before anyone freaks out i'm not trying to start a distro war use what you like.

Ubuntu mate
good distro however i'm not a fan of the classic ui look it sports and the brisk menu needs more time to bake so to speak

Antergos with kde
pretty good but arch problems do creep up sometimes

Manjaro kde edition
lots of panel crashing and overall instability froze up multiple times

Kde neon
my favorite distro
the only real issue i have is not being to open dolphin as root
i don't need to be safe it's a linux distro let me tinker gosh darnit!

Those are the only distros i tried before settling on kde neon

yes i know i said not being able to open dolphin as root is lame

however everything else about kde is exactly what i want from a distro

if i had to pick one thing that makes me go ok kde is exactly what i needed this whole time it would be the compositor tool

combine that with the stability of kde neon user edition and i am sure i just found the distro i will be using from now on

nox commented on 24 May 2018 at 3:04 pm UTC

The whole "no dolphin as root" is the main thing that annoys me about kde, other than that it's awesome.

I'll say that kubuntu is great too though, much faster for me than kde neon.

Hamish commented on 24 May 2018 at 4:44 pm UTC

codythedragondudethe only real issue i have is not being to open dolphin as root

To which the probable response would be "if you want to break your system then be a gentleman and do it from the command line like in the good old days."

razing32 commented on 24 May 2018 at 7:03 pm UTC

Not to be "that guy" but that seems like a fairly short distro hop.
You seem to have tried Arch and Ubuntu derivatives only.(KDE Neon is ubuntu based as far as I know)
What about other distros, not based on others , but unique in their own way.
Solus , Void , Nix , Slackware , Suse

As for XFCE , I am happy with it , but there are others besides KDE.
Maybe Deepin , Budgie or heck just build the thing from the ground up with your own window manager, file manager etc.

Just my two cents

tuubi commented on 24 May 2018 at 7:14 pm UTC

razing32Not to be "that guy" but that seems like a fairly short distro hop.
No, he did it exactly right. He found something he likes and stuck with it.

Unless the point of distro hopping is distro hopping itself?

lucinos commented on 24 May 2018 at 8:04 pm UTC

Hamish
codythedragondudethe only real issue i have is not being to open dolphin as root

To which the probable response would be "if you want to break your system then be a gentleman and do it from the command line like in the good old days."

That was exactly my thought

My main period of distrohopping was 2011-2013. Now I use mainly Arch/Manjaro (on my laptop I have installed Arch and Manjaro on my desktop and about everywhere else) and also Debian/chanchbang/bunsenslabs/sparky is also an option for me. And my main choices for gui are KDE, which seems very solid now for both my laptop and my current desktop, xfce that I historically trust more, (kde was not always solid), and openbox which is even lighter than xfce. (and maybe JWM that is even lighter than openbox)

Hamish commented on 25 May 2018 at 2:02 am UTC

Honestly I always have been fairly conservative with my Linux usage; I used Fedora on my main computer for six years before making the jump to Arch Linux five years ago after I found myself consulting the Arch Wiki for almost anything I needed to know anyway. I used GNOME 2 for the longest time before making the jump to XFCE as GNOME 3 does not play nicely when using Zaphod Mode. And that's about it.

wvstolzing commented on 25 May 2018 at 5:31 pm UTC

Hamishwhen using Zaphod Mode. And that's about it.

'Zaphod mode' -- is that slang for two headed (two screens)?
If so, brilliant. First time I'm hearing it, I'll be sure to use it from now on.

Hamish commented on 25 May 2018 at 7:14 pm UTC

wvstolzing
Hamishwhen using Zaphod Mode. And that's about it.

'Zaphod mode' -- is that slang for two headed (two screens)?
If so, brilliant. First time I'm hearing it, I'll be sure to use it from now on.
Yeah, it is a specific Xorg configuration where each monitor is kept separate with just the mouse cursor shared between them. That does mean that you can not drag application windows from one head to another like you can with a shared screen, although a few applications do allow you to do so using a menu option such as The GIMP. By and large though you have to start a separate instance on each head.

What it is great for is dealing with games that do not respect having more than one display, as to them it appears as if you just have one monitor connected. For me the trade off is more than worth it, especially since I mostly just use my CRT for specific isolated tasks while using my LCD for most everything else.

codythedragondude commented on 26 May 2018 at 1:19 pm UTC

solus is pretty good but i disagree with the way they handle package request because it usually means you're always going to be missing one piece of software due to eopkg being a format no one is ever going to adopt on a wide scale

i mean people already want to move away from debs and now you introduce eopkg yeah not great maybe snaps will fix this

but when the company behind my cloud storage says snaps are not popular enough for us to make one yeah that is a problem

void nix and slackware i have never tried but i usually try to avoid the out of my entire comfort zone distros like that

last time i tried openSUSE the installer was so confusing i thought it was slowly installing to my hard drive

only to find that it installed to the live usb flash drive and actually did not detect my hard drive at all so that was the NopenSUSE moment for me

and to that point about building a distro from scratch
i like simplicity
i think that would just frustrate me to no end
because i would build it then get a gui going then run into ten other problems that would make me just want to install an already built distro

razing32Not to be "that guy" but that seems like a fairly short distro hop.
You seem to have tried Arch and Ubuntu derivatives only.(KDE Neon is ubuntu based as far as I know)
What about other distros, not based on others , but unique in their own way.
Solus , Void , Nix , Slackware , Suse

As for XFCE , I am happy with it , but there are others besides KDE.
Maybe Deepin , Budgie or heck just build the thing from the ground up with your own window manager, file manager etc.

Just my two cents

mt7479 commented on 27 May 2018 at 10:41 am UTC

Been hopping a bit myself the last months, currently on ubuntu mate. What i know for sure:

* No gnome3 for me, newer
* Budige is a bit better but also to gnome3.
* Solus, amazing distro but missing packages for mail stuff.
* Mate is ok, but i never liked the gnone2 look and it also feels sluggish.

I find XFCE rather perfect for me because it doesn't have the eye candy stuff and lets you add custom actions rather easy. Folder -> right click -> do stuff. Had some issues with Xubuntu though that's why i started hopping.

Next up is probably Kubuntu or KDE Neon. What is the steam state on KDE Neon ? I'm looking forward to buy more stuff from gog in the future but still like to fire up steam for the feral games.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „The Longest Journey“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts