You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
RIP - Microsoft buys Github
Dragonite commented on 17 June 2018 at 2:32 pm UTC

I am a game developer and recently moved all my projects on gitlab

jens commented on 17 June 2018 at 2:53 pm UTC

devnullWould be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft is _not_ interested in the data/code that lives in the github repositories. My impression is that they are focused to get more (paying) customers for hosting in Azure from the organizations/companies that already host their code in Github by a better integration between Github and Azure services, something that AWS/Google can't offer.

devnull commented on 19 June 2018 at 12:59 am UTC

jens
devnullWould be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft is _not_ interested in the data/code that lives in the github repositories. My impression is that they are focused to get more (paying) customers for hosting in Azure from the organizations/companies that already host their code in Github by a better integration between Github and Azure services, something that AWS/Google can't offer.

Without the data, github is nothing. By getting direct access Microsoft will, as is the case with everything they touch, be in a rather awkward position of knowning exactly who to target and what their usecase is.
ANY corporate / private organization should be pulling their data asap.

To futher understand why that is creepy you have to understand Microsoft's overall analytics position. Through their licensing "audits" (more like shakedowns), they already know what hardware you run and to a large degree what your internal structure is like. They ALREADY use that data to target specific employees / groups. Now they add access to your code and it becomes very easy to build a walled garden around you.

This is the shit they engage in with Enterprises (Government is included in that). By the time you realize how far they have you by the balls it's entirely too late.

jens commented on 19 June 2018 at 6:18 pm UTC

Without any proof I doubt that your theory, that all content of (private) github repositories will soon be used by Microsoft at large scale to target companies for license deals etc., reflects reality. Azure cloud is their future, the desktop and private infrastructure market is becoming less relevant.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: „Vikings: Wolves of Midgard“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts