Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
RIP - Microsoft buys Github
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Jun 8, 2018
I've thinking of this and for now I'm going to stay at github.
nox Jun 8, 2018
Quoting: chancho_zombieI've thinking of this and for now I'm going to stay at github.
Well, if this is true I would reconsider :)
And, to what I can see it does indeed seem like they removed that repo from the trending list because it's "embarrassing".
Luke_Nukem Jun 15, 2018
The super paranoid will move because of Microsoft. Nothing will change that, especially with the history Microsoft has.

Me? I'm indifferent now, especially considering I'm using VSCode a lot (good grief it caused me so much pain trying to come to terms with it being good but also MS). But I have removed all my personal projects and hosted them on my NAS (a QNAP one) using a Docker image for gitea (which is minimal and quite fast compared to gitlab). It was just something that I'd been meaning to do for a while.

What I would love to see is something like a gogs and/or gitea inspired federation of self-hosted git sites. Kind of hoping this Microsoft fear spurs that on.

As for what MS does with Github? I doubt they will change too much, they have a bad history and they know it - they'll be working overtime to get past that.

Meanwhile though - they'll have unfettered access to competitors source until they move it (yes, even the private repos which I'm fairly sure are accessible internally, they won't be encrypted). And that's good reason to move.
devnull Jun 15, 2018
Many quite bizare things about this still. Considering Github was not a public company, with an evaluation like that you have to wonder if they were planning an IPO.

GitHub has at least some of their infrastructure on AWS. I don't imagine their monthly bill is small either. Would be a bit of a hit on Amazon if/when they inevetiably move to azure. Hell the loss of business to fastly and cloudfront(their current cdns), is going to hurt. Appears they've already pulled www.github.com from CF. Wouldn't go anywhere near them atm.

Out of everything else, it's the Linux Foundation backing this that confuses me the most.
Shmerl Jun 15, 2018
I'm not going to remove my user until there are projects I'm interested in still on Github, but I'm not going to host there anything myself. Gitlab is better for that.
devnull Jun 16, 2018
Would be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.
jens Jun 17, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: devnullWould be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft is _not_ interested in the data/code that lives in the github repositories. My impression is that they are focused to get more (paying) customers for hosting in Azure from the organizations/companies that already host their code in Github by a better integration between Github and Azure services, something that AWS/Google can't offer.
devnull Jun 19, 2018
Quoting: jens
Quoting: devnullWould be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft is _not_ interested in the data/code that lives in the github repositories. My impression is that they are focused to get more (paying) customers for hosting in Azure from the organizations/companies that already host their code in Github by a better integration between Github and Azure services, something that AWS/Google can't offer.

Without the data, github is nothing. By getting direct access Microsoft will, as is the case with everything they touch, be in a rather awkward position of knowning exactly who to target and what their usecase is.
ANY corporate / private organization should be pulling their data asap.

To futher understand why that is creepy you have to understand Microsoft's overall analytics position. Through their licensing "audits" (more like shakedowns), they already know what hardware you run and to a large degree what your internal structure is like. They ALREADY use that data to target specific employees / groups. Now they add access to your code and it becomes very easy to build a walled garden around you.

This is the shit they engage in with Enterprises (Government is included in that). By the time you realize how far they have you by the balls it's entirely too late.
jens Jun 19, 2018
  • Supporter
Without any proof I doubt that your theory, that all content of (private) github repositories will soon be used by Microsoft at large scale to target companies for license deals etc., reflects reality. Azure cloud is their future, the desktop and private infrastructure market is becoming less relevant.
Jastiv Feb 7, 2019
Github seems the same as it ever was actually. I did worry a bit when it was first bought.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.