You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
DXVK and anti-cheat?
Doktor_Mandrake commented on 13 June 2018 at 8:09 pm UTC

So as it states on GitHub, DXVK might be considered cheating by some games

"Manipulation of Direct3D libraries in multi-player games may be considered cheating and can get your account banned. This may also apply to single-player games with an embedded or dedicated multiplayer portion. Use at your own risk."

What is the likely hood of this though? I've been enjoying trying DXVK but been put off using it in some games I own on Steam due to the risk of receiving any kind of game ban

And say if a game did ban me, would I be able to explain my situation and would they be able to determine I am infact telling the truth and using DXVK?

I guess I could always try contacting the developers for these games and asking them, but chances are they wouldn't comment since it's on an unsupported OS and doubt they'd offer me any reassurance.

Thanks.

nox commented on 13 June 2018 at 9:47 pm UTC

I haven't heard of any bans at least, and it's unlikely to be detected as such. I only know of a few older F2P titles that would react badly to only a D3D modification.

So, to what I know you should be fine. And I'm pretty sure valve would understand

jaycee commented on 14 June 2018 at 8:40 pm UTC

There are anti-cheat systems that detect D3D library modification.. I believe Punkbuster used to do it. This is because there are cheats for games that e.g. render semitransparent walls or player targets through walls by modifying the D3D libraries.

Shmerl commented on 14 June 2018 at 8:49 pm UTC

This isn't the case though, so developers shouldn't ban for it.

Doktor_Mandrake commented on 15 June 2018 at 3:54 pm UTC

Thanks for the reponses guys, feeling alot more confident in using it for online MP games now!

The games I'm using it on at the moment are Redout and Killer Instinct, these games defintely don't use punkbuster!

It's also reassuring to know that if I did get unlucky and ended up with a ban for using DXVK, at least steams support team would be able to verify that I wasn't cheating if I contacted them.

Plan on trying DXVK with Super Bomberman R as well, which I picked up the other day, its a black screen with music in background without DXVK, even with DXVK its unplayable because the maps don't render properly but I reckon once DXVK has updated abit that will change

Thanks again guys

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts