Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Ubuntu Desktop Icons
liaemars Jun 17, 2018
Hi all

I am more than a bit confused....

my main setup is a fairly bland Ubuntu 17.10 setup with Gnome desktop, however I am running into a very annoying issue:

my custom icons are all messed - ie if I ask Steam to put a desktop icon into the desktop folder then it shows a generic cogs (I am using the pop icon theme, but it does not matter which theme I use it always happens).

when I change the desktop to Cinnamon all the icons appear fine with the right PNG.

Any ideas what to do ?

thanks
MKN-dev-LINUX Jun 17, 2018
Its a little better on Ubuntu 18.04. Most icons will be correct, however, there are the odd balls where I have needed to search for the icon within the steam folder(s) and manually apply it.

I personally would upgrade to 18.04, but I don't know if that's an option for you. How about you opt into the steam beta and give that a shot?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.