You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Android apps don't record your conversations but might do something worse
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Jul 6, 2018
A study from the Northeastern University claims that they discovered about 9.000 android apps that are potentially taking screenshots or accessing the camera, and sending the data to third party sites.
This is really disturbing. A big security hole for hackers to take screenshots of your passwords.
QuoteSorry, conspiracy theorists: They found no evidence of an app unexpectedly activating the microphone or sending audio out when not prompted to do so. Like good scientists, they refuse to say that their study definitively proves that your phone isn’t secretly listening to you, but they didn’t find a single instance of it happening. Instead, they discovered a different disturbing practice: apps recording a phone’s screen and sending that information out to third parties.
QuoteThe strange practice they started to see was that screenshots and video recordings of what people were doing in apps were being sent to third party domains.

https://gizmodo.com/these-academics-spent-the-last-year-testing-whether-you-1826961188
tonR Jul 6, 2018
Surprise.... NOPE!
I know this will be happening someday. I'm only using two compromised apps on my Android phone (for work) which are:

- Whatsapp (you cannot avoid using Whatsapp in business nowadays) and;
- Opera Mini (unavoidable especially if internet connection in your area totally unreliable).
Guppy Jul 6, 2018
If I understand this correct the problem is that some apps use a SDK/API called appsee that is used for tracking in the app and could potentially do screencaps of said app and there are 9000 apps using this SDK.
Or is the is the problem wider that said SDK ?
razing32 Jul 6, 2018
I was thinking for a while to put in Lyneage Os and use apps from F-droid that are open source.
Would loose a lot of convenience but i think it might be worth it.
Ehvis Jul 6, 2018
I have been running Cyanogenmod and LineageOS for years because I consider fine grained privacy settings essential. Almost all permission are "denied" or "ask" by default.
Guppy Jul 6, 2018
Quoting: EhvisI have been running Cyanogenmod and LineageOS for years because I consider fine grained privacy settings essential. Almost all permission are "denied" or "ask" by default.

Used to use cyanogenmod - but stopped after a permission bug duplicated all my gmail contacts 100s (literaly) of times.. not a fun thing to clean up :(

Also didn't they close down last year?
Ehvis Jul 6, 2018
Quoting: GuppyAlso didn't they close down last year?

Yes, but LineageOS is the continuation of it.
Koopacabras Jul 6, 2018
Quoting: GuppyIf I understand this correct the problem is that some apps use a SDK/API called appsee that is used for tracking in the app and could potentially do screencaps of said app and there are 9000 apps using this SDK.
Or is the is the problem wider that said SDK ?
yes I don't understand if the journalist is exaggerating it's not clear if those apps (9000) are using AppSee or they just have camera and screen recording permission. It does not actually state how many apps are using AppSee API/SDK.

EDIT: Now that I read it again they are not 9000, but probably AppSee has a cumulus of apps.
Koopacabras Jul 6, 2018
here is the list that Appsee showcase on their site https://www.appsee.com/customers

Samsung, Ebay, British gas, virgin are amongst their customers.
chui2ch Jul 7, 2018
Are there any phones out there that come with LineageOS by default? I have been considering flashing my phone, but have been worried about bricking it.
tonR Jul 7, 2018
Quoting: chui2chAre there any phones out there that come with LineageOS by default? I have been considering flashing my phone, but have been worried about bricking it.

Disclaimer: I'm not expert in flashing and rooting but I can help a bit. Do at your own risk.

wiki.lineageos.org : Lineage Wiki.

wiki.lineageos.org/devices: To check if your devices are supported or not.

download.lineageos.org: All rom are there. Check your devices is support or not on left side of screen.

If you're using Samsung Exynos chipset phone, don't worry because it among one of the one of easiest to root and flash. It's hard to getting brick but it will get brick if you wanted to try (I'm not responsible for that).

IF you're using Qualcomm and Intel Atom chipset phone, you have to work harder than Exynos (depends on phone models). Also both chipset are easily getting bricked if you're not careful, so be careful.

If you're using M*d*a**k chipset (also known as GPL-violator ARM chipmaker, I don't want to name it directly) phone, just go to this link >> mobilephonethrowing.fi, and then buy any phones with other chipset.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.