Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
AMD only gaming PC - August 2018
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Xpander Aug 17, 2018
Quoting: Dax TailorAll test I've seen on Ryzen CPU's have one in common. The Ryzen architecture depends on the RAM speed. But there are so many parameters a DDR4 RAM has I don't know what parameter to look for.

in terms of price and performance, the best is 3200mhz and CL14 memory. Make sure you take just 2 sticks as most motherboards have problems with 4 sticks and high frequency memory.
G.Skill TridentZ series are quite good and the price is fair for 3200CL14 ones. you can also opt for 3600mhz and CL16 and then run it at 3200CL14 as this is the sweetspot for gaming performance. Ofc even lower latency would be better for gaming but tweaking might take quite some time and you really need a good kit of memory then
pete910 Aug 17, 2018
As Xpander has said, Basically go for samsung b-die memory kits. If they are CL14 they will be.

QuoteFor the GPU I'm thinking about an AMD Vega 64 but there are still some problems with the driver so I've heard.

As in ?

Having owned one for the last year can't say I've had any problems with it. Admittedly Dying light does not work with mesa unless on *buntu.

Regards PSU, Go Superflower or EVGA(Superflower with 10 year guarantee) Enermax are good too.
Arehandoro Aug 20, 2018
Quoting: pete910
Quoting: Arehandoro*Snip

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)

Nice case though pricy,

Heres mine https://www.logic-case.com/products/server-chassis/nas/desktop-nas-enclosure-sc-n400/

Have a giga h97 m-itx but with a g3220 cpu

Works well in my 4 bay nas, I use ClearOS on mine as it does everything inc an AP due to it having a intel wifi chip

I ran Zoneminder for years on server, still have my camsecure card too but to be frank just get a good NVR and some ip cams.

Damn, I wish I would have seen this one before buying my one haha! Thanks for the recommendations on OS and cam :)
Arehandoro Aug 21, 2018
Apparently patience isn't a virtue of mine... with so much talk from yesterday's key note plus my reads to get the best card for my rig and all, I finally got the GPU. Considering I am running on a 1080p monitor, I decided to go with the Asus ROG 580 with 8GB. It might not be the most powerful but for the resolution I want, the kind of games I play and for power efficiency, and price, it might be the best AMD option for me.

Perhaps, down the line, this proves to be a bad a idea -economically speaking- but maybe better upgrade to a more powerful GPU when updating the monitor as well in another 3 years or so.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.