You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
AMD only gaming PC - August 2018
drlamb commented on 14 August 2018 at 1:38 pm UTC

ArehandoroOff-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

Have you thought about containers?

But yeah, all of my PCs will be all AMD from now on. Currently the only intel machines in my life are my synology NAS (I'll build my own ryzen freenas/OMV system when I run out of space or it dies) and my girlfriend's SFF Dell battle-station (i5 2400). I bought that from a property surplus store for $40 and can't complain. I did of course throw in a low profile RX 560 so at least it's half AMD.

Arehandoro commented on 14 August 2018 at 2:25 pm UTC

drlamb
ArehandoroOff-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

Have you thought about containers?

I wouldn't know where to start with containers. I want to eventually learn about containers but my learning pace on Linux Academy is slow, very slow. For the time being, it would be adding much more complexity that I am possible to troubleshhot/manage haha.

pete910 commented on 17 August 2018 at 7:49 am UTC

Arehandoro*Snip

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)

Nice case though pricy,

Heres mine https://www.logic-case.com/products/server-chassis/nas/desktop-nas-enclosure-sc-n400/

Have a giga h97 m-itx but with a g3220 cpu

Works well in my 4 bay nas, I use ClearOS on mine as it does everything inc an AP due to it having a intel wifi chip

I ran Zoneminder for years on server, still have my camsecure card too but to be frank just get a good NVR and some ip cams.

Dax Tailor commented on 17 August 2018 at 5:11 pm UTC

Thanks for this question and the answers so far.

I'm planing an AMD Linux Gaming PC Build myself this year but have not got so far in the part selection. Still on Intel/Nvidia and 3 SATA-SSD's (2*500GB, 1*250GB) and one 2T WD Black.

Before the SSD's I had the game Crusaders Kings in the WD HD, it toke about 3 Minutes to load, on the SSD its now about 20sec. That is a huge difference considering you just sit there and wait. So installing the games on a SSD is worth it.

I think there is a SW solution to use a SSD as a buffer for a HD. Not sure if this makes sense and how good the SW is who decided which files are going on the SSD.

A while ago I had to buy a new power supply and it was a nightmare to figure out which one I should buy. The main problem is, most brands are not producing the HW in house there let other companies build them and just put there label on it. So you end up with an excellent PSU from, for example Be'Quiet, and the next model is garbage. My idea to solve this was to find brands who build them and has good tests over some generations. I ended up with super flower. Cable management was a 'must have'. Was not an easy decision to spend about €120 for a PSU (550W). On the other side, the PSU is what keeps your system running and buying cheap might be more expensive in the end (but thats a platitude

For the GPU I'm thinking about an AMD Vega 64 but there are still some problems with the driver so I've heard.

All test I've seen on Ryzen CPU's have one in common. The Ryzen architecture depends on the RAM speed. But there are so many parameters a DDR4 RAM has I don't know what parameter to look for.

Like to know what PC you are building in the end and what your experience you have with it.

Xpander commented on 17 August 2018 at 5:23 pm UTC

Dax TailorAll test I've seen on Ryzen CPU's have one in common. The Ryzen architecture depends on the RAM speed. But there are so many parameters a DDR4 RAM has I don't know what parameter to look for.

in terms of price and performance, the best is 3200mhz and CL14 memory. Make sure you take just 2 sticks as most motherboards have problems with 4 sticks and high frequency memory.
G.Skill TridentZ series are quite good and the price is fair for 3200CL14 ones. you can also opt for 3600mhz and CL16 and then run it at 3200CL14 as this is the sweetspot for gaming performance. Ofc even lower latency would be better for gaming but tweaking might take quite some time and you really need a good kit of memory then

pete910 commented on 17 August 2018 at 8:39 pm UTC

As Xpander has said, Basically go for samsung b-die memory kits. If they are CL14 they will be.

QuoteFor the GPU I'm thinking about an AMD Vega 64 but there are still some problems with the driver so I've heard.

As in ?

Having owned one for the last year can't say I've had any problems with it. Admittedly Dying light does not work with mesa unless on *buntu.

Regards PSU, Go Superflower or EVGA(Superflower with 10 year guarantee) Enermax are good too.

Arehandoro commented on 20 August 2018 at 10:55 am UTC

pete910
Arehandoro*Snip

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)

Nice case though pricy,

Heres mine https://www.logic-case.com/products/server-chassis/nas/desktop-nas-enclosure-sc-n400/

Have a giga h97 m-itx but with a g3220 cpu

Works well in my 4 bay nas, I use ClearOS on mine as it does everything inc an AP due to it having a intel wifi chip

I ran Zoneminder for years on server, still have my camsecure card too but to be frank just get a good NVR and some ip cams.

Damn, I wish I would have seen this one before buying my one haha! Thanks for the recommendations on OS and cam

Arehandoro commented on 21 August 2018 at 11:49 am UTC

Apparently patience isn't a virtue of mine... with so much talk from yesterday's key note plus my reads to get the best card for my rig and all, I finally got the GPU. Considering I am running on a 1080p monitor, I decided to go with the Asus ROG 580 with 8GB. It might not be the most powerful but for the resolution I want, the kind of games I play and for power efficiency, and price, it might be the best AMD option for me.

Perhaps, down the line, this proves to be a bad a idea -economically speaking- but maybe better upgrade to a more powerful GPU when updating the monitor as well in another 3 years or so.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Crawl About: „Paper Sorcerer“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts