SteamPlay compatibility list
Page: «18/21»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Nov 8, 2018
Quoting: mylkai looked up some ubisoft games. far cry 3+5
https://www.protondb.com/app/220240
https://www.protondb.com/app/552520
ubisoft games dont work because of this stupid uplay client, but they used a crack and it works
im sure thats kinda illegal, but if it is that easy to run ubisoft games on linux, maybe valve can talk to ubisoft and make something happen (idk, maybe a separate .exe file for linux users)

do you think that could work?

My understanding is that on the countries that there is some ruling about this, modifying your binaries is completely legal as long it is your local copy. (Australia and EU) So your binaries are yours and you can do whatever you please, as long as you don't distribute them .

The same reasoning that could apply to a car, when you tune it, same thing for software. Don't let them tell you otherwise.
mylka Nov 9, 2018
Quoting: chancho_zombie
ubisoft games dont work because of this stupid uplay client, but they used a crack and it works
im sure thats kinda illegal, but if it is that easy to run ubisoft games on linux, maybe valve can talk to ubisoft and make something happen (idk, maybe a separate .exe file for linux users)

My understanding is that on the countries that there is some ruling about this, modifying your binaries is completely legal as long it is your local copy. (Australia and EU) So your binaries are yours and you can do whatever you please, as long as you don't distribute them .

The same reasoning that could apply to a car, when you tune it, same thing for software. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

as long as you dont remove DRM... it think
anyway. who will sue you? they see, that you have a legal copy and i dont know if they see, that you use a crack
sr_ls_boy Nov 9, 2018
The uplay client works for me in regular wine. I'm just lucky. I guess. Thus far cry 3 & 4 work
very well for me. The ubisoft titles are all on sale at steam. The lowest price is at
green man gaming.
Koopacabras Nov 10, 2018
Quoting: mylka
Quoting: chancho_zombie

as long as you dont remove DRM... it think
anyway. who will sue you? they see, that you have a legal copy and i dont know if they see, that you use a crack

not true there is not a single case where someone has been condemned for doing such thing. On the contrary there are plenty of rulings that say that you can do whatever you please with your local copy.

EULA and License Agreements are not laws remember that. Most of the stuff written there is unenforceable it wouldn't stand in a court.
Comandante Ñoñardo Nov 13, 2018
¬¬ I just discovered that is possible to override xaudio2_7 from the launch option
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xaudio2_7=n,b" %command%

I have to try it by myself.
With this, a lot of games will work out of the box with platinum rating.
DoctorJunglist Nov 14, 2018
Someone on ProtonDB posted a really nice guide to get GTA IV running.

It's nice to finally be able to play my Steam version of the game (before, only the pirated version would run via Wine for me).
Comandante Ñoñardo Nov 16, 2018
Earthfall can be played for FREE this weekend and it has Platinum ratings.

I don't know You, but I'm gonna try it.
Comandante Ñoñardo Nov 16, 2018
I tried Darksiders Warmastered Edition. It works out of the box, but the cinematics are not played...
and pasting the mfplat.dll file on the game's directory didn't worked. (I got the file from my windows7 machine)..
the trick specified on WINEHQ doesn't say if You have to use the version located at System32 or the one located at SysWOW64
YoRHa-2B Nov 18, 2018
QuoteYou have to use wined3d11 or the main character is invisible.
Or use a graphics driver that supports transform feedback (on Nvidia that would be 396.54.09).

---
Hitman 2 seems to be running fine, didn't buy it but you can get the prologue for free and even play the episodes from Hitman 2016 if you own that. Not interesting for that purpose of course, but hey, it works.
Comandante Ñoñardo Nov 18, 2018
Earthfall works OUT OF THE BOX!!

First: I suggest to add WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xaudio2_7=n,b" %command% in the game's launch options for to avoid the potential very well known sound issue...

I played only in single player mode the two first chapters...I died A LOT.
Earthfall is the true spiritual successor of Left4Dead, and (for Me) is even better than Killing floor...

To call this game plagiarism or imitation is unfair, because indeed this has a better playability than Left4Dead....
I mean, You can even print your own weapons!! And You can install barricades!!!... and automated machine gun turrets!!!
This game has the improvements I always wanted to see in Left4Dead and KillingFloor.

If you gonna play solo, don't worry, You are not alone like in KillingFloor, You have your 3 bots friends like in Left4Dead.

I had solid 60 FPS most of the time with the graphics preset on HIGH, but I had frame drops when A LOT of enemies were attacking me... It seems this game very cpu demanding.

I had only ONE crash in 6 hours of game play, but I can't tell if it was a Proton issue or a game issue, because I had the same crash, several times, with Killing Floor 2 on a Windows 7 machine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.