Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
How to configure individual prefixes on Proton?...
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Comandante Ñoñardo Aug 23, 2018
There is not a config Proton tab or something like that...
m2mg2 Aug 23, 2018
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoThere is not a config Proton tab or something like that...

SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata

Each proton game should have a folder named with the steam appid, they are the wine prefix's for the games. You should be able to modify them in order to apply custom fixes for games. What I'm wondering is what happens if you verify the game files, does it overwrite your changes. What would be great is if you could save custom prefix settings in steam like you do with save games so you can apply your customization's on other machines through steam.
Comandante Ñoñardo Aug 23, 2018
Quoting: m2mg2
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoThere is not a config Proton tab or something like that...

SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata

Each proton game should have a folder named with the steam appid, they are the wine prefix's for the games. You should be able to modify them in order to apply custom fixes for games. What I'm wondering is what happens if you verify the game files, does it overwrite your changes. What would be great is if you could save custom prefix settings in steam like you do with save games so you can apply your customization's on other machines through steam.

I found the folder... what I need to know is how to manage the behaviour of Proton per game ( make it act as winXP or Win7) or configure the render per game: Vulkan this game, OpenGL this other..

I have these glitches in Still Life 1 and 2 and I don't know why.. I think prefixes must be tweaked by hand.

legluondunet Aug 23, 2018
The idea of proton is: you click, the game just works.
If it is not the case, you can open an issue here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues

Yesterday I tried to tweak Proton for Darksiders game.
Darksiders needs devenum, windows media player and quartz.
I did:
WINEPREFIX='/mnt/dd2/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/50620/pfx' winecfg
and I can see the Proton dll overrides...
you can try this too:
WINEPREFIX='/mnt/dd2/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/50620/pfx' winetricks
tuubi Aug 23, 2018
Quoting: legluondunetThe idea of proton is: you click, the game just works.
If it is not the case, you can open an issue here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues
The issues with the Still Life games seem like an upstream bug. I don't think any amount of configuration will help here.

Quoting: legluondunetYesterday I tried to tweak Proton for Darksiders game.
Darksiders needs devenum, windows media player and quartz.
I did:
WINEPREFIX='/mnt/dd2/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/50620/pfx' winecfg
and I can see the Proton dll overrides...
you can try this too:
WINEPREFIX='/mnt/dd2/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/50620/pfx' winetricks
Winetricks works fine.

BTW, the default prefix path is "$HOME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx".
Comandante Ñoñardo Aug 24, 2018
What is the console command if I want to install or uninstall an app or perform a Regedit?
legluondunet Aug 24, 2018
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoWhat is the console command if I want to install or uninstall an app or perform a Regedit?

For example:

$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/USERNA_PROFILE_NAME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx" wine regedit
Quoting: legluondunet
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoWhat is the console command if I want to install or uninstall an app or perform a Regedit?

For example:

$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/USERNA_PROFILE_NAME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx" wine regedit

where I have to open the console?
I ask this because I type:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/203730/pfx" winecfg
The game is Q.U.B.E

I got this error:
wine: chdir to /home/comandante/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/203730/pfx
 : No such file or directory
1) you have to launch the game one time for Steam to create the Proton folder in compdata folder
2) if $HOME does not work, did you try with true folder path?
3) are you sure compdata folder are stored at "$HOME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/?
Quoting: legluondunet1) you have to launch the game one time for Steam to create the Proton folder in compdata folder
2) if $HOME does not work, did you try with true folder path?
3) are you sure compdata folder are stored at "$HOME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/?

1. I did
2. What do you mean with true folder path?

3. Yes.
Try without uppercase:
$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.