You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
[SOLVED] My pc shuts down while gaming (but not always...)
ziabice commented on 9 September 2018 at 8:24 am UTC

Did more test.

After playing successfully with "Tower of time" yesterday, right after I run The Witcher 3 and the PC shut down after ~30 minutes. I noticed that the GPU temperature was around 70°C but the GPU fan where spinning slow (at 740-800 RPM).

I run a memtest86+ and it passed.

I'm now doing some test using the 4.14 kernel instead of the 4.18.

Instead of the PSU, I highly suspect is the GPU the problem.

ziabice commented on 9 September 2018 at 8:59 am UTC

Tested kernel 4.14 with The Witcher 3: after ~20 minutes the PC shut down. This time I noticed that GPU fan were spinning very fast: 1800 RPM at 70°C.

I'm very confused...

whizse commented on 9 September 2018 at 11:26 am UTC

You might want to check that the heatsink is attached to the GPU correctly, just to be sure. Though I would expect any game to crash if that was the case.

debianxfce commented on 9 September 2018 at 11:28 am UTC

You need airflow from front to back under GPU card. Open case is not so efficiency.

ziabice commented on 14 September 2018 at 1:14 pm UTC

I just bought a new PSU (a Seasonic Focus+ 750W) and the problem seems solved. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but some quick test seemed very positive. I did better cable management, too.

What is very strange is that my previous PSU was perfectly fine for the hardware in this PC, and worked flawlessy anyway...

mrdeathjr commented on 14 September 2018 at 2:26 pm UTC

ziabiceI just bought a new PSU (a Seasonic Focus+ 750W) and the problem seems solved. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but some quick test seemed very positive. I did better cable management, too.

What is very strange is that my previous PSU was perfectly fine for the hardware in this PC, and worked flawlessy anyway...

This RX 580 (is a RX480 OC and RX 480 have around 180w very similar tdp of GTX 1080) is a very hungry tdp card for this reason psu could solve your issues

And add other components like as oc cpu

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts