You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Steam Play SUGGESTION thread
Patola commented on 10 September 2018 at 5:15 am UTC

Steam Play really changed the linux gaming outlook. So many games working right out of the box, or at least with very few tweaks like variables on the launch command. If the average linux gamer is like me, he/she has been completely absorbed by the sudden influx of games to his/her library, having even spent some money buying windows games with good steam play ratings (I bought Dragon Age: Origins from Nuuvem) or rediscovering a few windows titles he acquired from game bundles.

So, if you are a linux gamer lost on what to choose from the functional windows library, this thread is for you. Since I was able to find out a few gems I loved to discover myself, I will start the thread. I think the important data to show is the genre, the feeling and why you like the game, and any other notes or quirks you encountered.

So, my list of suggestions:
FREE GAMES(*)
PATH OF EXILE - this one is an isometric MMORPG in the style of non-MMO Torchlight II, only with more realist graphics and more complex mechanics, and of course, microtransactions and lots of grinding typical from MMORPGs. That does not make it bad, because even the grind is kind of fun, and you have lots of content and things to do. In my experience, is does not run completely stable and sometimes crashes, but you don't lose your progress. Also, there are occasional stutters which go away as you play the game. Although I was able to use it via the directx9 menu option, using launch options PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command% also worked. A multiplayer mission in Path of Exile seems to take between half an hour and one hour. It is also possible to play it as single player, and although it gets rebalanced to compensate, is not as fun as playing with people. Highly recommended, 8/10 if not for the crashes and stuttering.

Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop - a single-player and multiplayer isometric twin-stick shooter in the style of the old shadowgrounds games, only with a team instead of a single player. If you play the single-player campaign story you get bot companions which have quite good AI and can obey your orders, and in the multiplayer you invite friends to take the place of bots so you can better organize your strategy and tactics. This one had very good performance, no stutters and no crashes for me. Lots of weapons, items and gadgets to use. Each mission takes about 20 minutes, maybe even less as you get a bonus for doing it quickly. Highly recommended if that is your kind of game, 10/10.

Dead Frontier 2, a nice atmospheric third-person MMO survival horror with zombies where you must watch your hunger, thirst and other stats. The horror part is quite well balanced, and you assemble parties for missions the NPCs give you, and can trade with people on the "lobby" (a police station which is mostly safe). You start in a ravaged street with broken cars (one of which is yours) and a few buildings with the first quests. Each quest takes about 20 minutes to one hour and usually has one boss at its end. I had to disable esync for it to run properly and also disable dxvk or either run in directx9 for your character to appear (otherwise it is invisible), launch options: PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command%
If you're into survival horror, this is very fun, 9/10.

NON-FREE GAMES

Alpha Protocol, a classic single player third-person espionage RPG from 2010 made by Obsidian. Some people say it's the best spy thriller RPG ever made, and you can specialize in weapons, melee, stealth and the likes. If you like RPGs but are tired of the medieval of fantasy settings, but don't want to go to the other extreme of cyberpunk or space battles, this might be for you. If you go with steam play default settings, it will stutter a lot on cutscenes and movies, so you have to disable esync with PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command%, but with that, other than a redraw issue on the launch menu, it runs perfectly.

I would have further suggestions, but I think that's more than enough for starters. I'd appreciate feedback from you people. I'll provably recommend Risen 3, Dragon Age: Origins and the Red Solstice once I get far enough on them, and I am curious about Titan Quest and the Batman Arkham series, if anyone could give their outlook on these games.

(*) Free as in free beer, not free speech! Gratis! Free of charge! Some of them with microtransactions!

wojtek88 commented on 10 September 2018 at 7:32 am UTC

Original War - on Linux we don't have too many native RTS games. I personally love classic Real Time Strategies. In my Steam Library, the game that has most time spent in is Knights and Merchants (a game, that has Wine port for some time already). If you look for RTS, with some RPG elements this game is for you. People you meet became part of your squad, they become strong in what they do - if they fight, they exceed their fight skill, if they repair cars - they increase mechanics skill, if they spend time in the lab - they are better in science, if they carry supplies / build buildings - they are better engineers.
I strongly recommend OW (and K&M of course) to everyone.
Regarding Proton compatibility - OW works out of the box. I've played only 2 missions in Proton - what I can tell is that in native polish version, main character interaction voice disappeared after loading game save. Nothing that would stop me from gaming, especially that all the story voices he has are fine, however it's something I will look into I guess before posting compatibility report to Valve.

Leopard commented on 10 September 2018 at 1:25 pm UTC

Deus EX : Human Revolution

Works great , you need a Vulkan capable card.

lucifertdark commented on 10 September 2018 at 6:55 pm UTC

Loot Hero DX - Total mindless mayhem where you as a knight in shining armour run through monsters while carrying a lance, you bash into them to collect coins & other assorted loot, then spend the money on upgrades in the very convenient shops on the way, nothing too taxing at first but upgrade wisely as the monsters get more powerful as you go along. Even better is the price, it's £2.09 or £2.89 with the soundtrack, cheap & cheerful & loads of mindless fun for the couple of hours it'll take to beat the entire game.

tuxter commented on 10 September 2018 at 8:21 pm UTC

Mirrors Edge
One of the few games from EA on Steam library, its a nice title,I finished this game with steam play, my first game after this amazing project, I could finish the game spent 10 hours, without any crash or bug, no tweak, you just need to desactivated physx to avoid some freezes, in certain points of the game.

Patola commented on 12 September 2018 at 7:02 am UTC

Just saw Metal Gear Solid V on Humble Store for USD 5. And it's GOLD on the steam play compatibility spreadsheet.

rcgamer commented on 12 September 2018 at 7:45 am UTC

If you haven't played Alan Wake then you need to do so. One of the best games I've ever played.

Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 12 September 2018 at 3:59 pm UTC

rcgamerIf you haven't played Alan Wake then you need to do so. One of the best games I've ever played.
But, how it runs?
I remember trying Alan Wake with wine and the result were cutscenes without sound.

lucifertdark commented on 12 September 2018 at 5:52 pm UTC

Comandante Ñoñardo
rcgamerIf you haven't played Alan Wake then you need to do so. One of the best games I've ever played.
But, how it runs?
I remember trying Alan Wake with wine and the result were cutscenes without sound.
I just got as far as the scene on the ferry with the old guy asking for an interview, went to get back in the car & it crashed to a black screen, up to that point there were no problems with cutscene audio.

mrdeathjr commented on 12 September 2018 at 6:21 pm UTC

Comandante Ñoñardo
But, how it runs?

In my case runs very good, csmt fix lantern bug and esync active is needed for run

This a screen of recording uploaded test (not avalaible in channel for now )

Cutscenes have sound but first time not, only restart game and cutscenes back with sound

g000h commented on 13 September 2018 at 1:03 am UTC

The various titles which I've tried on Steam Play and worked great include:

The Legend of Grimrock II - Dungeon Crawler - really excellent example of the genre.
Runestone Keeper - Rogue-like Turn-based game - some similarities to Desktop Dungeons.
Monster Slayers - Rogue-like card-type gaming - similar mechanics to Slay The Spire
Super House of Dead Ninjas - Fast action combat platformer - Great for people into that Genre.
Pathfinder Adventures - RPG game using Cards and Dice.
Risen - Open-world 3D Roleplaying Game - similar to The Witcher, Skyrim.

Hard to recommend one above another, because they'd all appeal to different types of gamers. In their own spheres, they are decent titles. I'm definitely going to be playing more of them myself, and particularly Risen, Grimrock 2, Runestone Keeper, and Super House of Dead Ninjas.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Crawl About: „Paper Sorcerer“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts