Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Sudden failure launching Steam on Ubuntu 16.04 - glxChooseVisual failed
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
whizse Sep 11, 2018
Quoting: kellerkindtHad the same issue when I upgraded to LM19:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272380#p1498624

Its time for the 64bit Steam client...
If you're referring to 32-bit drivers, you still need those to run 32-bit games....
yar4e Sep 13, 2018
Quoting: kellerkindtHad the same issue when I upgraded to LM19:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272380#p1498624

Its time for the 64bit Steam client...

Today had the same problem on fresh Mint 19. Not good at all for newbies..
musojon74 Sep 13, 2018
I gave up. Wiped root partition and installed 18.04. Went badly at first. No screen display as the built in driver didn't work on my 970. Had to do a nomodeset to get in. Again, newbies will just give up. I might soon need a new distro.
tuxintuxedo Sep 13, 2018
QuoteNo screen display as the built in driver didn't work on my 970. Had to do a nomodeset to get in. Again, newbies will just give up.
Not wanting to belittle you, but you should already know that this is quite common for Nvidia hardware and can't be helped. Not without Nvidia itself (who doesn't care).
musojon74 Sep 14, 2018
It's the first time I've had an nvidua issue for an age. I always separate home and root for this reason so it's easy to dump and start again.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.