You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Navi , Polaris succesor to launch on Q3 2019
Page: «6/9»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombieyes that's what I'm talking about Navi is aiming at 4k or 2k. I think that polaris will still be supported by game developers for some years ahead, cause it works really well on 1080p.

I think that polaris 470/480 will be the entry level gpu for top AAA games for 2 or 3 years ahead.

For The Witcher 3 though Polaris was a bit underperforming even at 1920x1200 for me, that's why I got Vega 56. And for higher resolutions Navi should be good. 4K isn't something I'm planning though - that's going to be too much. Rather 2.5K with higher refresh rate. That's a good balance.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: chancho_zombieyes that's what I'm talking about Navi is aiming at 4k or 2k. I think that polaris will still be supported by game developers for some years ahead, cause it works really well on 1080p.

I think that polaris 470/480 will be the entry level gpu for top AAA games for 2 or 3 years ahead.

For The Witcher 3 though Polaris was a bit underperforming even at 1920x1200 for me, that's why I got Vega 56. And for higher resolutions Navi should be good. 4K isn't something I'm planning though - that's going to be too much. Rather 2.5K with higher refresh rate. That's a good balance.

Interesting, I haven't played Witcher 3, I bought it recently, but haven't played that much, the only game that runs really bad for me is shadow of the tomb raider. Vulkan had some improvements recently, maybe it runs ok now?

OTH, you are right, rx 470 or 480 could be the entry level for windows, for some years, but really if we are aiming for good proton performance we should aim for something more powerful .
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Witcher 3 is just quite demanding. My goal was to get stable 60 fps on max settings (hairworks disabled) in Wine+dxvk+radv. My RX 480 couldn't do it (on 1920x1200). It was maxing on 50 fps with full GPU utilization. Vega 56 easily hits 70 fps or more, so with vsync you get stable 60 fps. But it won't be enough already for 2560x1440, so Navi would be a good fit I hope.
Shmerl May 27, 2019
As for monitors, I was considering this one: https://www.nixeus.com/nx-edg27v2 to go along with Navi.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlAs for monitors, I was considering this one: https://www.nixeus.com/nx-edg27v2 to go along with Navi.

what's the difference between freesync and amd certified freesync?
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombiewhat's the difference between freesync and amd certified freesync?

Not sure. May be AMD reviews monitors? I know this one is listed here: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
That's how I found it. I filtered by 27", IPS, 2560x1440 and LFC support.
Koopacabras May 28, 2019
Asrock navi cards spotted at Computex

all of them take three slots.

Shmerl May 28, 2019
I'd personally wait for Sapphire. However those are massive. I'd prefer 2 fans, not 3 fan monster.
Koopacabras May 28, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI'd personally wait for Sapphire. However those are massive. I'd prefer 2 fans, not 3 fan monster.

this probably confirms the rumour about having thermal issues, that I have read.
Shmerl May 30, 2019
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-availability-factory-overclocked-graphics-cards-coolers

QuoteA Sapphire rep told us at the tech show that the company will be releasing its own factory overclocked graphics cards roughly eight weeks after AMD’s official launch.
Sapphire has confirmed the usual Nitro and Pulse cards will be available around Navi’s launch
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.