Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Navi , Polaris succesor to launch on Q3 2019
Page: «7/9»
  Go to:
Koopacabras May 30, 2019
I gave up on this there won't be entry level navi for some time. I bought a rx570 nitro+ which can beat some rx 480 and it's more power efficient. shappire does the best amd cards, no doubt.
Pangaea Jun 3, 2019
As usual I'm totally out of the loop when I'm not looking to upgrade my hardware, so what's the situation now for AMD graphic cards?

I'm pretty stoked about what is happening on the CPU front, so if I upgrade in the next year or so, there is a pretty good chance I'll switch over to AMD. But what about GPUs, are these new models going to be competitive with Nvidia on both price and performance?

Perhaps just pure speculation at this point, but from an article I read yesterday, it was claimed/guesstimated that Navi 3080 (they thought they'd try a 3000 naming scheme, in line with the CPUs) would aim to compete with GTX 2070.

The above post is a little deflating on this point, but do you guys reckon these toys will be reasonably affordable? Normally I wouldn't want to spend more than roughly the equivalent of 250-300 USD for a GPU (and prices in Norway are presumably higher than the same products in the US and UK). Currently I have a GTX 770. It's still fine really, but obviously a bit dated if I were to run the newest games.
Shmerl Jun 3, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaPerhaps just pure speculation at this point, but from an article I read yesterday, it was claimed/guesstimated that Navi 3080 (they thought they'd try a 3000 naming scheme, in line with the CPUs) would aim to compete with GTX 2070.

That's what AMD claims, and we'll need to wait until later in June or actual July to see public benchmarks. I hope AMD will live up to expectations, we need stronger competitive options.

I suppose they'll give different price options from regular mid range, to higher end, varying them by performance. I doubt they'll go over Nvidia's prices since they want to remain attractive for those who would prefer them over GTX 2070.

I'd start with evaluating what resolution and framerate you are aiming at, and decide what GPU to buy based on that (because those are the primary factors), considering also how demanding are the games you are playing.

For example, I got Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 to run The Witcher 3 at ≥ 60 fps with 1920x1200 in Wine+dxvk. Vega 56 handles that, while for example Polaris cards already are too underpowered for the task. Going to something higher like 2560x1440 and ≥ 80 fps already requires something more powerful, so Navi can come handy, since I want to get a better monitor (with Freesync support).
Koopacabras Jun 7, 2019
My opinion is that navi will be 50 usd cheaper than the Nvidia counterpart I don't know what's the price for the GTX 2070 499?? the 3080 will be 450, and that's more or less what the leaks say. So they will be cheaper, but not super cheap as the first rumors suggested. What will be interesting to see if NVIDIA is willing to cut their prices down, maybe that can push prices on AMD even lower.
Koopacabras Jun 7, 2019
QuoteFor example, I got Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 to run The Witcher 3 at ≥ 60 fps with 1920x1200 in Wine+dxvk. Vega 56 handles that, while for example Polaris cards already are too underpowered for the task. Going to something higher like 2560x1440 and ≥ 80 fps already requires something more powerful, so Navi can come handy, since I want to get a better monitor (with Freesync support).

In my case I decided that since I am not upgrading my monitor any time soon, I went for a nitro rx570, because here taxes are really high and monitors can be twice expensive than in the US, other things that are smaller I can purchase them on ebay or amazon, but monitors no, they charge ridiculously high shipping and handling + customs taxes.

I'm satisfied with it, it's ok for 1080p, some games I don't mind playing on medium settings. (it can do 60fps stable on Witcher 3 at medium settings) It can beat most of other brands rx480 and some rx580, shappire really shines on AMD.
Shmerl Jun 7, 2019
$450 is a reasonable price, if it's going to beat GTX 2070.
Koopacabras Jun 7, 2019
I don't know what NVIDIA has up their sleeves, I think they are having some problems on 10nm, and they are late on their next gen chip. But at least they can rest assured that for now (at least as far as we know) they will still hold the title of "fastest card in the world". But maybe not for too long. I don't know anything about NVIDIA since they are so unfriendly towards Linux, I just don't dig into their news, I just don't care.

What's this is all about is who has the fastest card in the world, for a very short period polaris was the fastest, but Nvidia quickly counterattacked . Navi gen 2 could become the fastest, I have hopes that this time NVIDIA will not respond that timely.
Shmerl Jun 7, 2019
Today I just don't care what Nvidia does. AMD works well for me, and will only get better. I'm not really interested in the "race to be fastest", especially since Nvidia shows no signs of ever making their drivers open. Once Intel will release their gaming GPU, then there will be more interesting options.
Koopacabras Jun 9, 2019
new leaks

source: https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-7nm-navi-gpu-rdna-specs-leak-8-gb-2560-cores/

Koopacabras Jun 10, 2019
yesss! it beats the rtx 2070
wooot

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.