Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Free SW2 on GOG
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
adamhm Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlThat sounds useful indeed. Does Wine plan to upstream that?

I have no idea. If they do then I don't see it happening for a while though, as there are a number of older games that I've found to have issues like blank display output (Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Outlaws), slow to register mouse movement (WH40k Final Liberation) etc.

Quoting: ShmerlJust tested it - it works pretty nicely in Wine+dxvk:

If it didn't I wouldn't have released a wrapper for it :P From what I've played so far (admittedly not much beyond the beginning) it seems to run near flawlessly as far as I can tell, aside from the logo videos at the start not playing & screenshots not saving. Performance is great too.

Quoting: YoRHa-2BThat's quite nice.

Honestly, if the Multiplayer works (which I personally don't care about and never even tested), they could just ship something like that as an officially supported wrapped Linux build. It would need some QA, sure, but a native Linux version is apparently not going to happen anyway.

They could do that even if multiplayer doesn't work (I've not tested/don't really care about that either) - it wouldn't be the first time the Linux release of a game available on GOG is single player/offline only. Multiplayer depends on the Galaxy client so getting it working would likely be a bit awkward, much like running Steam games prior to SteamPlay/Proton.

GOG have previously said that a big obstacle to them releasing more Wine wrappers is getting permission from the publishers to do so, but with Valve now effectively doing this already with SteamPlay & the apparent lack of objection to it from any publishers I doubt it would be an issue.
Shmerl Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BHonestly, if the Multiplayer works (which I personally don't care about and never even tested), they could just ship something like that as an officially supported wrapped Linux build. It would need some QA, sure, but a native Linux version is apparently not going to happen anyway.

I haven't tested it either, but indeed, GOG can start providing wrapped builds like they have already done for a few games in the past. But their Linux efforts cooled down quite a bit, so I haven't seen any such wrapped releases basically since they launched Linux support.
Shmerl Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: adamhmGOG have previously said that a big obstacle to them releasing more Wine wrappers is getting permission from the publishers to do so, but with Valve now effectively doing this already with SteamPlay & the apparent lack of objection to it from any publishers I doubt it would be an issue.

That's what I was wondering about too. GOG claimed, releasing a wrapped Linux version requires making a new contract and is a big legal overhead which publishers won't be willing to participate in. Yet Valve somehow bypassed this whole issue and kept publishers out of the picture in this. How did they manage that?
Shmerl Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: adamhmFrom what I've played so far (admittedly not much beyond the beginning) it seems to run near flawlessly as far as I can tell, aside from the logo videos at the start not playing & screenshots not saving.

I don't see any Wine related errors in the log. Are there any other in-game videos that aren't working?
Shmerl Oct 5, 2018
OK, I see that Movies section isn't working at all.
Shmerl Oct 5, 2018
Also, the saving system is weird. It basically doesn't allow loading any previous location. That's so messed up. Or I missed something?
Przmk Oct 5, 2018
I installed GOG Galaxy through Lutris and I was able to play in multiplayer without any issues. I hosted a game for 3 people (on Windows) and they were able to join and play.
Avehicle7887 Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlOK, I see that Movies section isn't working at all.

Unlike Hard Reset where the movies don't play due to an issue within Wine, I think in SW2 are simply missing from the game's folder, the game files don't indicate anything that resembles a video or a file containing them.

The savegame is possibly the most basic one you'll find - 1 file, automatic saves. During each level there are various autosave-checkpoint statues. If you close the game, you can load at the last statue.
Shmerl Oct 7, 2018
Yeah, I figured. I simply started backing up the save folder to have past saves. Quite bad on developers part not to make this automatically.

I think videos are stored in one of the .bin bundled files. I don't think they are supposed to be missing. Do they work for Windows users?
adamhm Oct 10, 2018
I've updated my wrapper to use Proton 3.7-6 as I found SW2 to perform slightly better with that :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.