Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
USB errors at bootup after new motherboard, cpu, and video card
madchaotikan commented on 6 October 2018 at 8:38 pm UTC

An alternative source for such kind of issues can be onboard devices like sd card readers rhat are causing driver issues. They are sometimes recognizd as an usb device. But this is more typical for notebooks. I guess you are talking about a usual desktop pc?

However, are you aware of any fancy devices/extensions builtin to your mobo not connected via pcie but usb? E.g. do you see anything like this in the bios?

madchaotikan commented on 6 October 2018 at 8:50 pm UTC

It might be this bug from 2007 which still seems to be not fixed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/88746

aka https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11159

rcgamer commented on 6 October 2018 at 11:10 pm UTC

I have found the usb wire internally causing the problem. Can't see anything wrong with it but it is what is causing the problem. It was the cable that goes to the led for the ryzen wraith cooler. I just unplugged it but the led is still working. ?? Maybe it's supposed to change colors or something I don't know.

Edit: after looking it up the usb is supposed to be used with some AMD tool to control the color zones on the fan. Anyway, no more error.

madchaotikan commented on 7 October 2018 at 6:13 am UTC

rcgamerI have found the usb wire internally causing the problem. Can't see anything wrong with it but it is what is causing the problem. It was the cable that goes to the led for the ryzen wraith cooler. I just unplugged it but the led is still working. ?? Maybe it's supposed to change colors or something I don't know.

Edit: after looking it up the usb is supposed to be used with some AMD tool to control the color zones on the fan. Anyway, no more error.

Good to know. Thx for sharing.

Have you looked for a Linux solution? Is this a known bug/issue?

rcgamer commented on 7 October 2018 at 6:44 am UTC

madchaotikan
rcgamerI have found the usb wire internally causing the problem. Can't see anything wrong with it but it is what is causing the problem. It was the cable that goes to the led for the ryzen wraith cooler. I just unplugged it but the led is still working. ?? Maybe it's supposed to change colors or something I don't know.

Good to know. Thx for sharing.

Have you looked for a Linux solution? Is this a known bug/issue?

I don't see this particular problem but I have seen people say their usb devices disconnect a lot with the Ryzen 2700x, some say due to memory timings. I might have just got a bad cable or something. Maybe I'll look into it later but I'm 46 and don't care all that much about the colors of the led lol. No problems since disconnecting it.
There is an rgb connector for it too where basically the motherboard bios controls the color changing, maybe I'll try that.

devnull commented on 13 October 2018 at 3:44 pm UTC

Could very well be it was drawing too much power over USB. Some of the newer coolers /aftermarket parts have the ability to link with each other for monitoring/control. Corsair calls theirs Link for example. Likely what the cable itself was for.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Around: „Shadowrun: Hong Kong“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts