You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How to get a triple-buffering/fast-sync like setting for (at least) ROTTR (kwin)
kokoko3k Oct 15, 2018
In the past i struggled to play in a smooth way to rottr; my setup includes a 1600x1200 screen resolution and a gtx1060
Fps at high settings were between 40 and 80, a big range!
Sadly, activating vsync in the game locked the fps to 30 or 60 and force nvidia composition pipeline ended up in a jerky motion even when using strangle.

So... by pure mistake, i left the kwin opengl compositor enabled (with vsync on/full scene repaint) *AND* enabled vsync in the game too.
Then i started the game with strangle to lock the fps to 60, and, to my great surprise, the fps in the game was not locked to 15/30/60; there was no tearing, and the game was incredibly smooth at 60fps, and good at 50fps too!
The downside is 1 or 2 frame lagging, and the usual 5% performance loss due to the compositor running (but force full composition pipeline has the same overhead, so...)

I've yet to try this with other vulkan games :)

I don't know if this could be compared to the old opengl triplebuffering or to fast-sync by nvidia because i just did not understood why all of this happened, maybe somebody could explain it?
kokoko3k Oct 15, 2018
Strangle does limit the fps for me in vulkan too, maybe you need to rebuild it?
kokoko3k Oct 17, 2018
I just found another trick, this one mimics adaptive-vsync found on windows drivers.

On nvidia cards, if you unckeck "allow flipping", in the driver configuration gui (or just do nvidia-settings -a AllowFlipping=0), and enable vsync in the game options, you actually get vsynced motion when fps is >= than the refresh rate, and tearing when it goes down; no compositor have to be running.
Actually i'm playing with this settings; plus i lowered the refresh of my monitor to 50hz to get a more solid/yet still smooth framerate.
Works in mad max too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.