You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
RX 570 benchmarks?
debianxfce commented on 23 October 2018 at 2:47 am UTC

I just ordered ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB Expedition OC from a sale to upgrade from Asus RX 560 2GB. I can not find any Linux gaming benchmarks for RX 570. Windows gaming benchmarks shows that RX 570 is twice as fast as RX 560. I found GFX Bench results: gfxbench rx570 vs rx560

I would like read RX 570 Linux gaming experiences. Open source is the way to go so nvidia fan boys, be quiet. I sell my computers with windows, so Linux gaming performance does not matter at the end.

Shmerl commented on 24 October 2018 at 4:19 am UTC

It's not a common card. Most would use RX 580 already, or lower end RX 560. Just test it once you get it, however 4 GB might be a limiting factor. Better use GPUs with 8 GB these days.

debianxfce commented on 24 October 2018 at 6:24 am UTC

Shmerlhowever 4 GB might be a limiting factor. Better use GPUs with 8 GB these days.

4GB is enough for fullhd and qhd resolutions that are more common than 4k. 2GB is enough for fullhd resolution and my monitor is fullhd. Not planning to get a 4K monitor for a long time. You play also with fullhd+ resolution so where you get the idea that 8GB is required? Most games are implemented to use max 2GB of video memory.

Shmerl commented on 24 October 2018 at 11:17 am UTC

That's not just about resolution. Games can keep various resources in VRAM for faster access. So the more you have it, the better. But of course do what you want, I just gave a suggestion to improve performance.

lucinos commented on 24 October 2018 at 12:12 pm UTC

ShmerlIt's not a common card. Most would use RX 580 already, or lower end RX 560. Just test it once you get it, however 4 GB might be a limiting factor. Better use GPUs with 8 GB these days.

It has been a wild ride with the prices so that changes constantly, but now it seems rx 570 is has the best value for money ratio! It is actually close in performance to RX 580 so much that it has a better VFM and has much better performance than RX 560 that currently is not that much cheaper (so way worse VFM).

Yes VRAM is not only useful for resolution but it is not that much absolutely required. Personally I would say avoid RX 580 with only 4GB as I would feel better with an RX 570 with 8GB (also an RX 560 with only 2GB would be a no), but between an RX 570 4GB and an RX 570 8GB it is a choice that both make sense as you save money for something not that much important, and better gpu's will be released in the future anyway.

debianxfce commented on 28 October 2018 at 12:35 pm UTC

ShmerlThat's not just about resolution. Games can keep various resources in VRAM for faster access. So the more you have it, the better. But of course do what you want, I just gave a suggestion to improve performance.

Think of a game developer, there is no sense to assume that there is more than 2GB of video ram that is the most common value. Good games are designed to work with a low end hardware to expand markets. No wonder why Tomb Raider games are so popular, all TR games are well implemented. They run fine with wine and newer ones with native Linux drivers with low end hardware.

Shmerl commented on 28 October 2018 at 2:52 pm UTC

debianxfceThink of a game developer, there is no sense to assume that there is more than 2GB of video ram that is the most common value. Good games are designed to work with a low end hardware to expand markets. No wonder why Tomb Raider games are so popular, all TR games are well implemented. They run fine with wine and newer ones with native Linux drivers with low end hardware.

I don't think developers need to assume. They can utilize more VRAM to make things even faster when that VRAM is available. And they can fall back to regular RAM in case when VRAM is limited, at the cost of lower performance. Vulkan allows doing all this.

dxvk is utilizing this exact approach for instance.

g000h commented on 28 October 2018 at 7:31 pm UTC

Shmerl
debianxfceThink of a game developer, there is no sense to assume that there is more than 2GB of video ram that is the most common value. Good games are designed to work with a low end hardware to expand markets. No wonder why Tomb Raider games are so popular, all TR games are well implemented. They run fine with wine and newer ones with native Linux drivers with low end hardware.

I don't think developers need to assume. They can utilize more VRAM to make things even faster when that VRAM is available. And they can fall back to regular RAM in case when VRAM is limited, at the cost of lower performance. Vulkan allows doing all this.

dxvk is utilizing this exact approach for instance.

Adding that I'm in agreement with Shmerl over this. Video RAM quantity is very important for achieving good performance. Typical video RAM is faster than motherboard RAM, and also interacts directly with the GPU, rather than passing over the PCIe bus. When you have a game with lots of high quality textures, those get loaded into Video RAM for fast access.

Similarly, the regular RAM on a motherboard - Any additional capacity is used by the operating system as a hard drive cache, enabling programs to run faster because they don't need to load data off hard drive so often.

14 commented on 30 October 2018 at 1:18 am UTC

I think you'll be OK at 4 GB, but unpolished games will suffer. I had a 3 GB card earlier this year. I didn't keep it very long.

Once you get your 570, please post some benchmarks here. Besides Unigine and the benchmarks built into some games, there is also https://openbenchmarking.org/.

debianxfce commented on 7 November 2018 at 5:12 am UTC

I got my RX 570. I made a video, RX 560 vs RX 570

lucinos commented on 7 November 2018 at 7:50 am UTC

nice, do the https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2683/page=1
there is still no rx570 there.
Also if it is not too much of a problem do it for the rx560 too.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts