IBM acquires RedHat
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
wvstolzing Oct 28, 2018
Check out the official announcement: https://www.redhat.com/en

So... what does that imply for Fedora, the GNOME project, etc.?

All I can say at this point is that for what you might call sentimental reasons, I don't want to use a system that has IBM's direct corporate backing.
g000h Oct 28, 2018
Actually corporate backing can be very good for Linux. Not saying that they will, but IBM could beef up their (future) version of Linux and start competing with Microsoft. It irritates me that Microsoft has near monopolistic power over computer desktops. I'm not at all keen on the direction Microsoft has been taking desktop computing, e.g. spying on users, targeted advertising to users, encouraging a Microsoft App Store as the only place to buy your software, EULAs, enforcing updates, and so on.

On the flip-side, yes, IBM could also spoil it as well.
Shmerl Oct 28, 2018
I wonder what it means for many contribution to Linux, Mesa and other FOSS projects that RedHat are involved in. According to RedHat CEO, they will continue, but I don't have much trust in IBM.

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat-ibm-creating-leading-hybrid-cloud-provider

QuoteImportantly, Red Hat is still Red Hat. When the transaction closes, as I noted above, we will be a distinct unit within IBM and I will report directly to Ginni. Our unwavering commitment to open source innovation remains unchanged. The independence IBM has committed to will allow Red Hat to continue building the broad ecosystem that enables customer choice and has been integral to open source’s success in the enterprise. IBM is acquiring Red Hat for our amazing people and our incredibly special culture and approach to making better software. They understand and value how and why we are different and they are committed to allowing us to remain Red Hat while scaling and accelerating all that makes us great with their resources.
Apparition_B5 Oct 28, 2018
Wow. Well, in the short term that probably doesn't change much. However, from the press release it's obvious that this move is all about the cloud, and well... desktops, notebooks, and solo servers don't play into that. Interesting to be sure.
daishord Oct 28, 2018
I for one welcome Blue Hat.

While IBM is a big Linux contributor I'm not sure they will continue to sponsor all the desktop development Red Hat is doing, especially as the whole acquisition is part of some cloudy cloud strategy.

Interesting times.
the3dfxdude Oct 29, 2018
So is this the first big merger since SuSE was acquired by Novell?

Having been through acquisitions and mergers in the corporate world, usually what follows is reorganization and clearing out the cruft. Do expect some changes. This can be good or bad. Same thing happened at SuSE, in fact, some of those people ended up at Red Hat.

What's next? SuSE to be acquired by Intel? Ubuntu acquired by Microsoft?
ageres Oct 29, 2018
Quoting: the3dfxdudeWhat's next? SuSE to be acquired by Intel? Ubuntu acquired by Microsoft?
Free Software Foundation acquired by Apple.
Cyril Oct 29, 2018
Wow... This year has/had many changes in the Linux "world" and the least I can say is that I don't like them all...
This news is not a good one for me.
14 Oct 30, 2018
Quoting: Apparition_B5Wow. Well, in the short term that probably doesn't change much. However, from the press release it's obvious that this move is all about the cloud, and well... desktops, notebooks, and solo servers don't play into that. Interesting to be sure.
I heard a rumor that one of the console manufacturers is thinking that the next "console" after next will run in the cloud. No, that isn't a desktop or a notebook, but... I don't know. It feels slightly related to me.

Quoting: Apparition_B5What's next? SuSE to be acquired by Intel? Ubuntu acquired by Microsoft?
Ubuntu acquired by Microsoft is a real fear of mine as of today. In fact, I am wondering if IBM beat MS to the punch regarding Red Hat.

All in all, I'm trying to keep a "wait and see" attitude about the IBM acquisition of Red Hat. I can't say I'm happy about it, but I don't think it's a tale of doom either. If you read the forum comments over at Phoronix, it's pretty pessimistic. But you can also gleam some positive info like how much IBM has contributed to the Linux kernel.
wvstolzing Oct 31, 2018
Bryan Lunduke has some interesting points about the acquisition. (He's not trying to be funny; so it's safe. Haha.)
GustyGhost Nov 1, 2018
Quoting: 14Ubuntu acquired by Microsoft is a real fear of mine as of today.

You can always move upstream to Debian ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.