You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Open-source gaming on gnu linux
damarrin commented on 29 November 2018 at 12:09 pm UTC

Why is it a shame Linux users play Steam games?

What does Linux being free have to do with Steam being non-free?

The freedom you have is deciding if you want to use something or not. The people who create software have the freedom to decide on what terms it's made available to others.

mirv commented on 29 November 2018 at 12:18 pm UTC

It's a shame that users are allowing themselves to be so reliant on Steam.

And yes, on the one hand people are free to decide not to use Steam, and developers are free to decide to use Steam. But...actually some people are not as free to decide as they think, because corporate interests are dictating the development and decision making of FOSS systems. See here for a good overview about that:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/video/linux-sucks-forever

It's not a bad thing to be wary of proprietary software, especially when it's used to manage other software you want to use. I'm not saying "don't use Steam", but I do think it's healthy for people to really know who is actually in control, and how their freedoms are being limited.

Yes, I use Steam. But increasingly less, and I keep it as self-contained as possible, and buy games elsewhere when there's the choice. Because one of the reasons I use GNU/Linux is for the freedoms it gives me, and though I'm not as political about it as, say, RMS, I still do value openess.

Salvatos commented on 29 November 2018 at 7:11 pm UTC

mirvIt's a shame that users are allowing themselves to be so reliant on Steam.
They have the best Linux support and the cheapest rental prices I've ever seen. It's kind of a no-brainer for me.

slimithy commented on 29 November 2018 at 7:55 pm UTC

I have a hard time figuring out why die hard FOSS supporters even entertain gaming websites in the first place. Gaming has never been about FOSS.
This is just a site for gamers, and more specifically, gamers who use Linux.

I'm with @damarrin on this one.

mirv commented on 29 November 2018 at 8:35 pm UTC

slimithyI have a hard time figuring out why die hard FOSS supporters even entertain gaming websites in the first place. Gaming has never been about FOSS.
This is just a site for gamers, and more specifically, gamers who use Linux.

I'm with @damarrin on this one.

I should stay away, but question: how do you feel about Linux? I mean the kernel. Because _that_ is FOSS, and GNU/Linux is built upon FOSS principles. Being an underpinning of the entire OS, it really does factor into how the OS is used ultimately - even if your opinion is to not care, the people who have built the OS do care.

Just trying to point out that gaming and FOSS do matter when it's on a FOSS system.

(I personally care about FOSS on the OS level - above that I'm more pragmatic, but I'm increasingly unsettled by Steam because there's proprietary software sitting between the OS, and the games I want to play on it. Just as a disclaimer about my position).

slimithy commented on 30 November 2018 at 1:24 pm UTC

mirvI should stay away, but question: how do you feel about Linux? I mean the kernel. Because _that_ is FOSS, and GNU/Linux is built upon FOSS principles. Being an underpinning of the entire OS, it really does factor into how the OS is used ultimately - even if your opinion is to not care, the people who have built the OS do care.
Actually I think the Linux devs would prefer we used our OS and hardware for whatever reason we wanted, FOSS or proprietary, and not one or the other.
If Linux was supposed to be FOSS only then that would be contradictory to everything Linux stands for.
Linux is about freedom.

mirv commented on 30 November 2018 at 1:37 pm UTC

slimithy
mirvI should stay away, but question: how do you feel about Linux? I mean the kernel. Because _that_ is FOSS, and GNU/Linux is built upon FOSS principles. Being an underpinning of the entire OS, it really does factor into how the OS is used ultimately - even if your opinion is to not care, the people who have built the OS do care.
Actually I think the Linux devs would prefer we used our OS and hardware for whatever reason we wanted, FOSS or proprietary, and not one or the other.
If Linux was supposed to be FOSS only then that would be contradictory to everything Linux stands for.
Linux is about freedom.

Please read up on what an OS is, and what the whole purpose of GNU is. I do differentiate between Linux, and GNU/Linux.
Linux alone is supposed to be FOSS; it was created as something intended to be open. Yes, there are contributors who don't particularly care (normally from a corporate environment), but there's a reason Linux uses GPL for its license.

(edit reason: spelling)

Bard commented on 30 November 2018 at 3:56 pm UTC

Well, I can only speak for myself;

"i don't really understand people who are happy about steam on linux and windows games ported to linux as well... i also don't understand people who are convincing windows 10 users to change into linux."

I am happy for this, because I can continue to play great games without having to use Windows anymore. That is my reason anyway.

"i feel like if somebody is not interested in nature of free open-source then why would he want to swap his windows for some newest release of linux distro when all stuff works out of the box on windows 10, no sense"

Well, because Linux is better than Window 10. That is my reason anyway. I would happily pay for Linux if I had to in order to avoid Windows 10.

"I like playing these games like Dota 2 or some Runescape but in long term this is waste of energy."

In the long term life itself is a waste of energy...

"What do you learn from playing Steam games?? What do you learn from ported to linux windows games??"

Well, I learn something from games every now and then, but that is not the primary reason why I play games in the first place. If I wanted to learn new things I would take a course at the university...

"Why bother with proprietary games and stuff??? Cuz it's fun??"

Yes, it is fun!? Why else would anyone play a game?????

"Why won't you come back to windows 10 and play the same games without configuring all this stuff and packages?? Uhh because you're worried about security issues?? Is that it??"

Linux is far superior to Windows 10 in almost every aspect, so it is like asking someone driving a new Mercedes to go back and drive his old Fiat Ritmo instead...

slimithy commented on 30 November 2018 at 10:10 pm UTC

mirvPlease read up on what an OS is, and what the whole purpose of GNU is.
And right there ends my part in this conversation. I won't be patronized.
Good luck in your....whatever it is.

damarrinI think this site is not for you.

mirv commented on 30 November 2018 at 10:50 pm UTC

slimithy
mirvPlease read up on what an OS is, and what the whole purpose of GNU is.
And right there ends my part in this conversation. I won't be patronized.
Good luck in your....whatever it is.

damarrinI think this site is not for you.

If you read that as patronising, then there's not much I can do. It seems like you didn't understand some of the history behind why Linux was created, and the motivations behind GNU. If you were aware, I wouldn't have thought you'd say that being FOSS only would be contradictory to what Linux stands for (which is to be a free, open, kernel).

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Puzzle Tiles: „Blocks That Matter“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts