You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Open-source gaming on gnu linux
Cyril commented on 5 December 2018 at 12:15 am UTC

cynicfmbut i installed mint and that has prime where i can choose what gpu driver so its easy, and... diablo 3 runs here 40fps on full hd high details which is astonishing to me and its amazing... thank you linux . windows 10 was tearing on full hd and temperature of gpu was close to fire temp... :S.

Ah that's great to read!

cynicfmAccording to what you said with manjaro, only if i knew how to change DNS... once i deleted google dns and i couldn't start manjaro, desktop was black after boot. I am happy with mint at the moment, but it's only 32 bit system (had it from linux format magazine) but diablo 3 full hd is great :-).
Sorry, i only started using linux this year so im noob.

No problem if you're a noob!
Reading this, I'm just trying to understand what you're actually done there. What do you mean by "deleted google dns"?
Because it should not be a problem to boot your System at all. You're sure you mean DNS?

Anyway if you're new to the Linux world, stay on Mint if you like, test and learn how things are working etc.
Then later maybe you will try another distribution, but right now it's maybe too early to know if you like or don't like whatever software etc.

Have fun on Diablo III though.
(I uninstalled it recently... but if you want to play it on multi some day PM me.)

cynicfm commented on 5 December 2018 at 1:57 am UTC

Yeah, sure i do ;D
new season is coming up soon and i'm gonna start with wizard, on hardcore ;)
Weird coincidence that path of exile and diablo 2 has NEW SEASON the same month ;/.

And mint is my entertainment distro at the moment i also have artix (arch based) as second distro that i use as pure linux, if i wanna have break from windows. playing windows games using wine is still windows i think but well, not completely but i believe playing games on linux that r made for windows is still having windows experience. The only difference is that windows games in my experience run like crap on win10. Infinite upgrade m$ philosphy. I'm scared that windows 10 gonna turn my laptop into zombie.

uhmm what i done with dns in manjaro was going to /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and i think i deleted all google numbers from there i think and i dont remember if i put another ip... and well whath appened was i rebooted then typed password i think and the screen was just grey or black for like 5 minutes so i was like i dont know what happen have to reset and happened again so i deleted it. However i remember when i installed antergos in the past and it was quite cool distro, however i remember when i went to my friends for party and took a laptop with me and i think i had nvidia gpu on, cuz i have this damned optimus nvidia and battery was like 30-40 minutes so we couldn't watch the movie and i was disappointed so deleted it but artix lasts for like 3-4 hours, few days ago i wanted to test it how battery will behave, and it lasted for two movies in VLC (1080p) The only difference is i can't use proprietary nvidia drivers on artix or devuan (systemd-free distros) cuz setting them up is too much pain to be honest, i can't deal with this. This is why my next purchase gonna be aimed for installing open-source gpu drivers. Nouveau drivers in my case (940mx geforce) gives me worse performance than integrated intel 620...

Right now i have comfort because if i wanna use my geforce 940mx i can just boot into distro with proprietary drivers and use it for anything i want if i wanna open-source and pure linux without any wine or playonlinux or steam too i go on other distro.
I'd love to be able to code and create open-source games, however i am so used to windows games, to nice graphics and all this stuff, like i can't just stop playing games that i played for years and be 100% linux open-source. I have no idea what would be happening if wine hasn't existed or playonlinux.

But what i don't like about this gog or steam or others is like associating this companies with linux. I wouldn't say that steam gaming or other are native linux gaming because you can't play steam games without steam. I always thought that native linux gaming is to download games from internet and then compiling them yourself or installing .deb (on debian) or whatever... Without any 3rd party companies.
To me steam is like a layer something like wine, but wine has seperate section on this forum then i believe steam should have too. If dota 2 was native linux then i'd be able to download it from the website and be able to play without using any 3rd party clients.

Cyril commented on 5 December 2018 at 4:14 pm UTC

cynicfmuhmm what i done with dns in manjaro was going to /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and i think i deleted all google numbers from there i think and i dont remember if i put another ip... and well whath appened was i rebooted then typed password i think and the screen was just grey or black for like 5 minutes so i was like i dont know what happen have to reset and happened again so i deleted it.

Ok! Don't panic dude, the data in this file are not used if there are commented.
Like this:

[Resolve] #DNS= #FallbackDNS=1.1.1.1 9.9.9.10 8.8.8.8 #Domains= #LLMNR=yes #MulticastDNS=yes #DNSSEC=allow-downgrade #DNSOverTLS=no #Cache=yes #DNSStubListener=udp

As stated in the manual of resolved.conf:

QuoteBy default, the configuration file in /etc/systemd/ contains commented out entries showing the defaults as a guide to the administrator.

So it's useless to modify it, as I said you can use this file instead : /etc/resolv.conf
If you want to be sure what DNS is used on your system, you can do this:

dig whatever-site.com

But that said, I don't know why your boot was corrupted then...

cynicfmBut what i don't like about this gog or steam or others is like associating this companies with linux. I wouldn't say that steam gaming or other are native linux gaming because you can't play steam games without steam. I always thought that native linux gaming is to download games from internet and then compiling them yourself or installing .deb (on debian) or whatever... Without any 3rd party companies.

You're confusing DRM, Linux native and Open source, REALLY. I don't know where you read that, but you're wrong here.

You can have Linux native games on GOG and Steam...
On GOG all games are DRM-Free, it means you don't need to install a client to play them, you only have a setup file.
On Steam some games are DRM-Free, some have DRM.
But native games has nothing to do with open-source.

All of these things/issues are very different ones.

cynicfm commented on 5 December 2018 at 9:15 pm UTC

yeah i believe drm stuff is terminology created by these corporates like google it is created by corporates or a hashtag is created by corporates as well

but to me native linux game is open source one, open source game for open source system. if i wanna play drm ones i go on drm windows... ;/.
and windows has directx12 support so i can't see any reason why would i want to play steam or gog games on linux if i can play them on windows 10 and its more convenient too... because win10 costs 100 bucks?? who cares...

making money on something whats free and open source is lame. its google approach
why would i want to pay for things on free system like linux??
id rather just go back to windows

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts