You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Playstation Now working on Wine
rcgamer commented on 21 November 2018 at 1:20 am UTC

Couldn't believe this works. Got the install tutorial from https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/8s2w8v/playstation_now_the_last_of_us_with_wine_amp_dxvk/

I didn't have to do the last few steps (not yet anyway) just the installation prerequisites.

Made a video showing it working with Red Dead Redemption and The Last Of Us. https://youtu.be/x1j7cC7jcCQ

sub commented on 21 November 2018 at 11:41 am UTC

How does "Playstation Now" work?

Is it an official streaming service or can I play Playstation games on Windows with platform where the game somehow runs on my local machine? Is it run through an emulator (quite unlikely)?

I don't get it, where comes DXVK into play?

damarrin commented on 21 November 2018 at 2:30 pm UTC

It’s a streaming service.

rcgamer commented on 21 November 2018 at 2:43 pm UTC

subHow does "Playstation Now" work?

Is it an official streaming service or can I play Playstation games on Windows with platform where the game somehow runs on my local machine? Is it run through an emulator (quite unlikely)?

I don't get it, where comes DXVK into play?

Dxvk is unnecessary.

sub commented on 21 November 2018 at 4:11 pm UTC

damarrinIt’s a streaming service.

So the game is rendered remote and streamed using a video codec?

Does this really work that great?
Latency?

rcgamer commented on 21 November 2018 at 4:17 pm UTC

sub

Latency?

Kind of depends on the game. If a game has a bunch of QTE then you will probably get frustrated but for the most part it's pretty negligible. I've used it on Windows in the past and so far it works exactly the same using Wine. A lot depends on your connection really.

Best thing to do is probably try it out yourself, you get a free 7 day trial. It's kind of funny when you start Playstation Now a box will come up saying it might not work in a non-windows environment as if they know people will try it on Linux or MacOS.

sub commented on 21 November 2018 at 4:35 pm UTC

rcgamer
sub

Latency?

Kind of depends on the game. If a game has a bunch of QTE then you will probably get frustrated but for the most part it's pretty negligible. I've used it on Windows in the past and so far it works exactly the same using Wine. A lot depends on your connection really.

Best thing to do is probably try it out yourself, you get a free 7 day trial. It's kind of funny when you start Playstation Now a box will come up saying it might not work in a non-windows environment as if they know people will try it on Linux or MacOS.

Especially for slow paced games this sounds like an option.

Great!

rcgamer commented on 21 November 2018 at 5:54 pm UTC

sub
rcgamer
sub

Latency?

Especially for slow paced games this sounds like an option.

Great!

I actually completed the last of us with it on windows.

wvstolzing commented on 21 November 2018 at 7:46 pm UTC

rcgamerI actually completed the last of us with it on windows.

This is likely a weird question, but do you know anything regarding the following type of scenario?

I used to have a PS4, in fact I bought a digital copy of the 'remastered' The Last of Us, and finished it on the device. If I were to get a new subscription to PS Now, would I be able to stream The Last of Us from my existing library to my desktop? (I suppose my 'PS4 library' still exists intact; if I were to get a PS4 again, I should be able to have access to the digital only games that I bought -- or so I think.)

Salvatos commented on 21 November 2018 at 7:50 pm UTC

Oh damn, another reason to get a controller. Looking forward to Cybermonday.

rcgamer commented on 21 November 2018 at 7:57 pm UTC

wvstolzing
rcgamerI actually completed the last of us with it on windows.

This is likely a weird question, but do you know anything regarding the following type of scenario?

I used to have a PS4, in fact I bought a digital copy of the 'remastered' The Last of Us, and finished it on the device. If I were to get a new subscription to PS Now, would I be able to stream The Last of Us from my existing library to my desktop? (I suppose my 'PS4 library' still exists intact; if I were to get a PS4 again, I should be able to have access to the digital only games that I bought -- or so I think.)

Not sure what you mean here. You can steam The Last Of Us because it's a game the service offers. If I remember correctly you can also use saves from that same game that you had backed up. As far as being able to play digital titles you bought, no unless they just happen to be offered by the service. If you get another PS4 then those titles should be available to you again though.
I remember buying a lot of digital content on PS3 and when I bought a PS4 it showed that I still owned them but couldn't play them on the ps4. I was pissed.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „Neofeud“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts