You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Thoughts on Console Gaming
Arehandoro commented on 26 November 2018 at 3:10 pm UTC

damarrinExample: in this country here where I live the state puts out some software which is required for small businesses to run. It’s windows only. They say it’s a problem for only a couple of per cent of user so it doesn’t matter. On a philosophical level they’re very harmful as they are fostering the MS monopoly, since you have to be a raving pro-Linux and/or anti-MS zealot to waste huge amounts of time trying (and often failing) to get said software to run. The only practically sensible thing to do is get a machine with Windows, even if you view Linux favourably and it would otherwise work fine for your business needs.

You could say the state has an obligation to not strengthen one company’s market position, one which already has a monopoly to boot, and you would be right. Which is exactly what they are doing in the guise of “supporting the majority of their users”. There’s no one with a commercial interest talking Linux up and sending their salesmen to convince people their product is the best and that’s really what this boils down to.

I would write a letter/email to the government with "No Tux no Bucks" xD

tuubi commented on 26 November 2018 at 3:35 pm UTC

damarrinLinux has no interested commercial entity backing it and no exclusive software, which means other platforms will always have more, which in turn means there’s no practical reason to run Linux unless you’re into the open source philosophy or for other similar reasons and are willing to jump through some serious hoops to keep using it.
You lost me there.

damarrin commented on 27 November 2018 at 12:04 am UTC

I will be more than happy to be proven wrong :-)

GustyGhost commented on 27 November 2018 at 12:51 am UTC

Letting go of exclusives is part of the process of becoming truly free.

Exclusive = hostage. Remember that.

tuubi commented on 27 November 2018 at 5:50 pm UTC

damarrinI will be more than happy to be proven wrong :-)
Your claim that Linux has "no commercial entity backing it" isn't really true now is it? But maybe you'll start moving the goalposts and tell us that you were talking about gaming specifically, and that what Valve is doing isn't what you meant by "backing it".

As for the rest: How do I prove I'm not jumping through hoops? Or that I'm using Linux because I feel it's more practical? Or that practical reasons brought me to Linux, not the philosophy?

damarrin commented on 28 November 2018 at 12:05 am UTC

Do I see ads for computers with Linux on tv? Or before a film at the cinema? Or on billboards around town? Do I see hardware companies say on their websites “xxx recommends Linux”? Do I see ads for prominent electronic store chains showcasing laptops with Linux on their screens?

Any way you look at it, there is no company paying money to other companies to advertise Linux or make software for it. MS probably hasn’t done the latter for some 20 years now, Apple probably for 10, but they are both everywhere you look. Linux is nowhere to be seen.

Valve is doing excellent work, but what it boils down to so far is they throw things out there and hope they stick. They haven’t.

And I don’t need you to prove anything to me. I use Linux every day and I know what it’s like. It’s my opinion and I stand by it. You’re free to have your own.

razing32 commented on 28 November 2018 at 7:53 pm UTC

My opinion on consoles is fairly negative.
There was a time when they were dedicated to games and playing was easy , just put in disk/cartridge and play.
I recall having to struggle with IRQ ports and SoundBlaster with my first PC
Nowadays they seem to be just under-powered PCs. With less customization and choice. And the big publishers seem to be more interested in micro transactions than making good games.
Also exclusives are only for the benefit of the industry as far as I am concerned. Yes it will sell more consoles. But not because the console is better but because the game can only be played on brand X.
That being said , play games on whatever you like. I don't like the industry but people can play on what they like.(as long as they don't support predatory lootboxes)

debianxfce commented on 29 November 2018 at 4:16 am UTC

damarrinDo I see ads for computers with Linux on tv? Or before a film at the cinema? Or on billboards around town? Do I see hardware companies say on their websites “xxx recommends Linux”? Do I see ads for prominent electronic store chains showcasing laptops with Linux on their screens?

Valve makes hardware and software and recommends Linux: Linux games

Here are showcased many Linux laptops in a prominent electronic store:
Linux laptops

Supercomputer and network server companies do advertise Linux with their hardware.

Debian has many commercial users, see Debian users

Linux is everywhere, the whole internet runs with Linux servers, you have the Linux kernel in your pocket and many other embedded devices use Linux.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „Unforeseen Incidents“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts