You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Valve misses an opportunity to encourage users to switch to Linux.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
stretch611 Dec 17, 2018
Quoting: ageresLike these?

Damn, I'm jealous now...

I actually just bought Railroad Tycoon II from GOG during their sale last month. I didn't know that there was a linux version of that. (And IMHO, the less said about Railway Empire the better; it was a huge disappointment for me and I had to get Railroad Tycoon to remove the thoughts of the horrible knock-off.)

I knew about Descent, but I though it was SimCity 2000 not 3000... but then again, I might be remembering SimCity 2000 for OS/2.
Salvatos Dec 17, 2018
To be fair, I've never had a BSOD on Windows XP and I don't remember having problems reading disks either (I could say the opposite about Linux when it comes to that). When I saw Win7 go unresponsive at session launch on various computers I knew I wouldn't be "upgrading." Which is why I continue to believe that Microsoft are among the biggest factors in Linux adoption :D
Koopacabras Dec 18, 2018
for me windows 2000 was the best windows, windows xp was the same thing but bloated. But anyways the problem with windows xp and windows 2000 was the ActiveX plugins and all sort of internet explorer plugins, the windows explorer had internet explorer embedded (very bad security practice) so if you accidentaly run a script on windows explorer it will bog internet explorer .

like this arrrrrgggg, my eyes hurt.

let's not forget sasser virus.
Looking things in perspective windows at those days was a mess, surely it has come a long way with windows 7 and 10 as far as security concerns (sure, privacy that's another issue). I remember back then loosing plenty of time running lavasoft adware program, scanning and scanning over and over again, there was no efficient way of getting rid of all the adware.
Now the problem they have is botnets running DoS attacks or mining cryptocurrency and that happens mostly on computers that are really outdated, nobody should be using windows xp these days.
Cyril Dec 19, 2018
Quoting: chancho_zombielike this arrrrrgggg, my eyes hurt.

This screenshot is priceless!
Arnvidr Dec 19, 2018
Quoting: stretch611I though it was SimCity 2000 not 3000... but then again, I might be remembering SimCity 2000 for OS/2.
One is the sequel to the other ;)
damarrin Dec 19, 2018
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: chancho_zombielike this arrrrrgggg, my eyes hurt.

This screenshot is priceless!

It is a thing of beauty indeed.

On topic, I don't think Valve necessarily have to care about Linux itself or the philosophy behind it. What I think they do care about is competition in the OS market as this means they're not reliant on a single OS supplier and they can keep MS in check. This I think is the reason they haven't been doing any marketing for SteamOS or the Steam Machines - just the fact they exist and some people use them is enough for what they need.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.