You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
so i decided to ditch systemd distros for non systemd arch based artix
dvd commented on 18 December 2018 at 3:31 pm UTC

Just my 2 cents:

I have used most of the *boxes, also ratpoison and i3 on debian. Whenever i used wicd, i had problems with it (i think with the wifi adapter only, but i'm not sure anymore).
Also, init system won't really affect your performance on a system that runs modern games (2010+). Not even the choice of the desktop environment should impact it anymore. It's more of a quesion of which one do you find pretty or useful.

For audio, pulseaudio is very good if you don't need something special. For alsa, you probably need to configure your hardware and mixers. Even playing 2 channels on the same hardware is not automatic.

Pure alsa might not be a good choice for games, there may be some that don't work.

cynicfm"Another thing devuan has pulseaudio and if i delete it, i get sound but laptop speakers are silenced."
What do you mean by that?

cynicfmI don't know. 62 bit manjaro is very slow on this laptop same when i installed 64 bit mint, runs like garbage. I have 4gb DDR4 ram so i know its not much but it is a joke for the price of laptop i paid, im gonna upgrade at some point to 8gb or 12gb.

It's probably not the RAM. I have a 2010-2011 laptop with 4GB DDR3 ram still running debian with KDE quite well, the bootup is a bit slow, but once it's loaded it runs just fine. I can also play older (and even some newer) games on it without issue.

14 commented on 19 December 2018 at 2:26 am UTC

I've never heard of Artix. Cool to hear of a new one. I can't say that I dislike systemd. I tend to move on with new stuff and delete the old.

Happy Linux'ing. I've been a dual-booter for years and finally cut the Windows cord this last Summer when I realized that I hadn't booted into Windows for like 4 months. Feels good.

cynicfm commented on 19 December 2018 at 5:58 pm UTC

dvd
cynicfm"Another thing devuan has pulseaudio and if i delete it, i get sound but laptop speakers are silenced."
What do you mean by that?
i mean that sound from laptop speaker wont play.

okay i did what debianxfce adviced, i deleted networkmanager. installed wicd. along with networkmanager it deleted some gnome stuff from the installation. so that deleted stuff like archive manager or net browser falcon.
so that messed up with sound devices. so i uninstalled everything that had alsa in name and that deleted lots of weird libs and internet was okay after this.
but what happened later i completely killed my system, couldnt even write anything in terminal.
if i clicked shutdown or reboot nothing happened.
so i turned the laptop off and couldnt turn it on again some client rule loaded i had a mess with some graphics libs again im pretty sure. because i dont know how to deal with this because im not linux veteran or advanced, i installed devuan again and deleted artix.
omg i had problems again with both of them again with nvidia gpu.

So right now im installing manjaro openbox and i dont care. Im gonna set different dns and IPv4 and 6 after install.
To be fair this was all going into administrating linux system direction. I wasnt installing base devuan or base artix but it was with desktop environment already installed. So desktop environment already installed was coming with gnome stuff.
Even though id like to learn and make my own system from scratch there are two obstacles. The first one i havent got access to wired connection at the moment and setting up wireless one is something i dont really wanna get into. maybe i want but its too much too handle.
second one i have nvidia optimus here and nvidia optimus is like systemd. Its such a mess
30 minutes ago i installed artix nvidia drivers and bumblebee and again problem with loading module and i cant just try to solve it again because its pointless.
i only wanna play dota2.

I understand admistrating linux system and making it from scratch when i built my own machine from scratch. But i didn't, its some generic acer laptop that i had been given as a present. Last year i didnt know that im gonna use linux today.
So im installing manjaro cuz i wanna play dota 2 again.
Im sick of dealing with this. Im not sick of trying to configure my linux system, im sick of this nvidia optimus and wireless connection.
Until im not gonna build my own machine and have access to wired network i decided im not getting into 'administrating linux system' because its where its going.
wireless connection and nvidia optimus is too much pain to configure. ITs not worth it.
And by the way im never gonna get laptop or pc with nvidia that needs proprietary drivers to shine again. Never ever nvidia.

If manjaro gonna give me pain as well like wireless wifi does or nvidia optimus i promise im gonna go back on windows 10 and that willb e even more pathetic than this nvidia optimus .

I always wanted to install arch linux but if during installation there is also mess to configure with wireless then its sad. i have some wpa2 or wep2 or something security, so its even worse.
Its quite pain in the ass because id love get more into linux, deeper to it but i feel like without proper wired connection its just not worth it, its more pain than pleasure.
So now im curious how manjaro will perform, okay installation done gonna reboot :-)

debianxfce commented on 19 December 2018 at 6:49 pm UTC

dvdJust my 2 cents:
For audio, pulseaudio is very good if you don't need something special. For alsa, you probably need to configure your hardware and mixers. Even playing 2 channels on the same hardware is not automatic.

Pulseaudio is not good, 577 issues: pulseaudio bugs

Pulseaudio uses many % of CPU time, Alsa audio 0.
It is shorter and simpler to explain how to select the default audio device with alsa than pa: Check your audio devices with the command aplay -l and set the default audio output device number, example:
sudo leafpad /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
defaults.ctl.card 2
defaults.pcm.card 2

The default alsa conf enables the dmix module that allows multiple sources to play simultaneously. Qasmixer is a good mixer for Alsa. Games and everything works better without garbage software from redhat: pulseaudio, networkmanager, systemd, gnome3. Professional audio uses Jackd, pulseaudio is garbage.

cynicfm commented on 19 December 2018 at 7:16 pm UTC

damn manjaro causes issues as well cant even run steam under optirun or primusrun
or my browser doesnt have icons appeared
problem with fonts

okay so bye bye manjaro openbox at the moment im putting mint 64 bit xfce on pendrive
what issues i have on every distro no matter which one is nvidia optimus

@devuanxfce
yeah install distribution with some desktop environment that has gnome stuff installed by default.
this is what i done and i listened to you deleted networkmanager and with networkmanager i got rid of other things for example some libraries and i had mess with sound

this is what it does basically if you wanna delete 'pulseaudio, networkmanager, systemd, gnome3', you delete other things with that as well and that leaves lots of mess on my system.
but im clueless because i have wireless connection not wired.
same with systemd deleting systemd results with deleting your network manager, sound manager desktop environment, i mean it should be just init system i think, not software and init system all together :///..

I am frustrated at the moment. maybe simply because i read other people advices and then i cant deal with this on my own.
That this bad that is bad red hat bad everything bad.

i understand if i had super machine built by myself from scratch and play super demanding games but i only wanna play dota 2 now and it was great on artix.
right now i deleted manjaro fallback google dns and added opennic one and had resolve problems too. its something to do with libs.
but i havent got super machine i have got generic laptop with some nvidia optimus and i only left windows to linux not to build linux from scratch but get some better performance.
i understand that having no redhat stuff is better for performance.
but at the moment i wanna play round or two in dota 2.

but what i should really do is to keep nvidia on systemd mint and other stuff on artix or whatever and install non systemd distro and learn how linux for future when ill be able to build my own custom pc.
i understand boykott systemd ideologies, but its also hard to get for me a pc custom made for non systemd distro and open source driver as well as wired connection to install some base linux without systemd, i cant do that tommorow or next week. Not sure if even next year.
so im sorry systemd boykotters and red hat haters im gonna use linux mint now because im stupid and have very bad linux laptop thanks. cant afford better

debianxfce commented on 19 December 2018 at 8:43 pm UTC

cynicfmhave very bad linux laptop thanks. cant afford better

You can try my optimized gaming distribution with your laptop. Use the MBR installer and it should boot with vesa or sw drivers to the desktop. Then install nvidia drivers from the nvidia site. Before that you need to install kernel headers, gcc and make. Boot to the Linux rescue mode to install the nvidia driver.

Maybe you need to patch the nvidia driver for the kernel 4.20-rc3. The distribution has stock Debian 4.18 kernel too and nvidia drivers should install ok. But it is a slow 300Hz debug kernel.
nvpatch

OOSG

cynicfm commented on 19 December 2018 at 9:30 pm UTC

yeah i just played dota 2 match on linux mint and the performance is how i expected
im not sure if dota 2 on artix wasnt played on intel even though i had bumblebee and nvidia drivers installed

the best convenience ever on mint here is the active video graphics card thing where i can choose what driver to use. and i can play dota 2 now on even maxer details than on artix
however im not sure if i didnt like intel graphics more but i can tweak something in x settings now and adjust for best quality.

so yeah at least for gaming i have to say linux mint is best for this laptop i have (i tested so many distros) but for learning linux there are of course better options than linux mint.
so yeah im staying with mint but i will dual boot as soon as i feel some urgent feeling that i wanna learn about linux too
would be with artix if i had like AMD GPU and not some nvidia optimus... cant say no to mint convenience

debianxfce
cynicfmhave very bad linux laptop thanks. cant afford better

You can try my optimized gaming distribution with your laptop. Use the MBR installer and it should boot with vesa or sw drivers to the desktop. Then install nvidia drivers from the nvidia site. Before that you need to install kernel headers, gcc and make. Boot to the Linux rescue mode to install the nvidia driver.

Maybe you need to patch the nvidia driver for the kernel 4.20-rc3. The distribution has stock Debian 4.18 kernel too and nvidia drivers should install ok. But it is a slow 300Hz debug kernel.
nvpatch

OOSG
what do you mean yours?

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts