Bioshock 1 & 2 remastered in Wine?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 17, 2018
Did anyone play Bioshock 1 & 2 in Wine+dxvk? How is the experience? They just got released on GOG DRM-free, so I'm quite interested in trying them out.
Ehvis Dec 17, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlDid anyone play Bioshock 1 & 2 in Wine+dxvk? How is the experience? They just got released on GOG DRM-free, so I'm quite interested in trying them out.

I currently playing Bioshock Remastered in Proton. After the -nointro and turning off esync, it's been rock solid. 60 fps all the way, haven't even seen any shader/pipeline compiler stutter. Surprising because the reviews of the remaster are not so optimistic. Nvidia though, so can't comment on the AMD experience.
Shmerl Dec 17, 2018
I'm usually not using esync, since it's a pain to keep it up to date with upstream Wine, so that won't be an issue. Is intro somehow broken and what exactly does -nointro skip?
Shmerl Dec 17, 2018
I suppose some video codecs are failing. Did you try installing any native overrides?
Ehvis Dec 17, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIs intro somehow broken and what exactly does -nointro skip?

Not entirely sure. For me it broke my fullscreen mode. It only skips the brand logos at the start though, so it is actually an improvement.
Shmerl Dec 17, 2018
Ah, I see. So no essential story intros are skipped - that's good! I'll surely use it as well then.
Avehicle7887 Dec 17, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlAh, I see. So no essential story intros are skipped - that's good! I'll surely use it as well then.

I tested them earlier today and they work quite well with DXVK (needs 32bit dll's). In Bioshock 2, the -nointro presumably lets you go past the first "press Space to continue" screen which otherwise blocks keyboard input, see here. I recommend to also run the first game with -nointro unless you wanna fall asleep before the main menu appears.
Shmerl Dec 17, 2018
The space to continue bug could be related to previously fixed bug in upstream Wine, so may be Proton picked up an older code. I just bought both games and will give them a try later. I'm surprised they remastered them in 32-bit though. It would be the first game that I know that's using DX11 while being 32-bit.
ageres Dec 18, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIt would be the first game that I know that's using DX11 while being 32-bit.
Because it isn't using DX11, it's actually DX9.
Shmerl Dec 18, 2018
Quoting: ageres
Quoting: ShmerlIt would be the first game that I know that's using DX11 while being 32-bit.
Because it isn't using DX11, it's actually DX9.

The remastered ones are supposed to use DX11 according to system requirements.
ageres Dec 18, 2018
According to system requirements, it also needs 64-bit Windows. But it is 32-bit itself. And it runs on DX9. I played it on Windows, and MSI Afterburner showed me it's on DX9. So, BioShock games weren't actually remastered, just few newer textures and 3D models. The laziest remasters ever.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.