Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
Which has the least input lag : Nvidia (+compo pipeline w/o vsync ?) / AMD ?
bidinou commented on 25 December 2018 at 11:34 pm UTC

Hi ! been pulling my hair on this question for months... Years ?

How to make sure I get the least possible INPUT lag in games ? I'm not referring to using G-Sync or Freesync monitors...

1) as most ppl known, it's possible to get a tear-free experience when using NVIDIA GPUs + force composition pipeline AND disableV-Sync. I have the subjective feeling it gives the least VSync ; it's huge in some titles like Hollow Knight -- i feel it in other games, but cannot measure it).

The problem is 1a) some games behave properly and do enable to get both a tear-free display and a constant framerate, but some don't (don't feel smooth, inconsistent framerate with "force compo pipeline" and "vsync disabled")
1b) some games force the VSync anyway : in this case is there a double sync due to the use of both the "force compo pipeline" in the nvidia drivers and the VSync inside the game ?

2) There's no equivalent with AMD cards as I either get tearing and low input lag or a tear-free display and more input lag. But I don't know how to make sure which situation is optimal. I don't know if NVIDIA + compo pipeline + Vsync (for the games that don't behave well with VSync off) gives more lag than AMD + Vsync. etc etc.

Could anyone enlighten me ? ATM I own 2 GPUs : an RX 560 which works STELLAR on the desktop (KDE) and a much faster GTX 1060 that is decent on the desktop (many 2D apps are slower and it's NOT due to kwin -- also I think I encounter some issues with VDPAU in VLC...). I don't know which card to use (casual gaming scenario, but I'm very sensitive to lag and... very sensitive to a slow desktop

cheers !

stan commented on 26 December 2018 at 12:54 pm UTC

bidinouThe problem is 1a) some games behave properly and do enable to get both a tear-free display and a constant framerate, but some don't (don't feel smooth, inconsistent framerate with "force compo pipeline" and "vsync disabled")
For OpenGL games that do not have a frame limiter, you can use libstrangle to limit the FPS and get a stutter-free game.

Quote1b) some games force the VSync anyway : in this case is there a double sync due to the use of both the "force compo pipeline" in the nvidia drivers and the VSync inside the game ?
Nope, it doesn’t wait twice for the VBL; that would be very noticeable!

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts