You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Which has the least input lag : Nvidia (+compo pipeline w/o vsync ?) / AMD ?
bidinou commented on 25 December 2018 at 11:34 pm UTC

Hi ! been pulling my hair on this question for months... Years ?

How to make sure I get the least possible INPUT lag in games ? I'm not referring to using G-Sync or Freesync monitors...

1) as most ppl known, it's possible to get a tear-free experience when using NVIDIA GPUs + force composition pipeline AND disableV-Sync. I have the subjective feeling it gives the least VSync ; it's huge in some titles like Hollow Knight -- i feel it in other games, but cannot measure it).

The problem is 1a) some games behave properly and do enable to get both a tear-free display and a constant framerate, but some don't (don't feel smooth, inconsistent framerate with "force compo pipeline" and "vsync disabled")
1b) some games force the VSync anyway : in this case is there a double sync due to the use of both the "force compo pipeline" in the nvidia drivers and the VSync inside the game ?

2) There's no equivalent with AMD cards as I either get tearing and low input lag or a tear-free display and more input lag. But I don't know how to make sure which situation is optimal. I don't know if NVIDIA + compo pipeline + Vsync (for the games that don't behave well with VSync off) gives more lag than AMD + Vsync. etc etc.

Could anyone enlighten me ? ATM I own 2 GPUs : an RX 560 which works STELLAR on the desktop (KDE) and a much faster GTX 1060 that is decent on the desktop (many 2D apps are slower and it's NOT due to kwin -- also I think I encounter some issues with VDPAU in VLC...). I don't know which card to use (casual gaming scenario, but I'm very sensitive to lag and... very sensitive to a slow desktop

cheers !

stan commented on 26 December 2018 at 12:54 pm UTC

bidinouThe problem is 1a) some games behave properly and do enable to get both a tear-free display and a constant framerate, but some don't (don't feel smooth, inconsistent framerate with "force compo pipeline" and "vsync disabled")
For OpenGL games that do not have a frame limiter, you can use libstrangle to limit the FPS and get a stutter-free game.

Quote1b) some games force the VSync anyway : in this case is there a double sync due to the use of both the "force compo pipeline" in the nvidia drivers and the VSync inside the game ?
Nope, it doesn’t wait twice for the VBL; that would be very noticeable!

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „Lamplight City“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts