Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Google patents it's game controller
Koopacabras Mar 13, 2019

the patent comes with a series of illustrations showing how the controller might be designed, including a dual-joystick setup, shoulder and trigger buttons, and directional d-pad and gameplay buttons. The illustration also includes what appears to be a microphone button, which could hint at some sort of voice assistant compatibility as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/9/18257911/google-patent-game-controller-project-stream-streaming-service-render
Koopacabras Mar 13, 2019
render

sub Mar 13, 2019
Re-vo-lu-tio-na-ry!

:D
Koopacabras Mar 13, 2019
Quoting: subRe-vo-lu-tio-na-ry!

:D
lol pretty standard controller, what could be a game changer is the gaming-on-the-cloud service.
WorMzy Mar 14, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombiewhat could be a game changer is the gaming-on-the-cloud service.

People have been trying to do this for the past 10+ years, but it never takes off. I suspect that it's mostly due to latency issues, and while the infrastructure in many countries has improved over the years, I think there's still far too much copper between homes and servers for this sort of service to work well (at least, in any games where reaction times are important).
dvd Mar 15, 2019
Quoting: WorMzy
Quoting: chancho_zombiewhat could be a game changer is the gaming-on-the-cloud service.

People have been trying to do this for the past 10+ years, but it never takes off. I suspect that it's mostly due to latency issues, and while the infrastructure in many countries has improved over the years, I think there's still far too much copper between homes and servers for this sort of service to work well (at least, in any games where reaction times are important).

The biggest issue with the whole cloud gaming in my opinion is that the people that are able to spend 4-600 $ on games a year are also able to afford a moderately good gaming pc per 3-4 years, thus they do not need it. At least I imagine they would rather sacrifice graphics over responsiveness and not having to be always online.
The people who can't afford that are more likely to have slower connections, or unreliable ones, which makes the service even more pointless.
Also, this would be every console vendors wet dream, the fact that Nintendo and others haven't done it is probably a good indicator of it's viability. The only thing i can imagine this working on is phones - except there the limited data plan by providers renders it useless again.
wvstolzing Mar 15, 2019
So the buttons & triggers etc. take the player's fingerprints, I presume?

Or transmit hand temperature & sweat level in order to push personalized ads?
Cyril Mar 15, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzingSo the buttons & triggers etc. take the player's fingerprints, I presume?

Or transmit hand temperature & sweat level in order to push personalized ads?

Seriously, it wouldn't be surprising, for me at least! :D
Koopacabras Mar 16, 2019
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: WorMzy

The biggest issue with the whole cloud gaming in my opinion is that the people that are able to spend 4-600 $ on games a year are also able to afford a moderately good gaming pc per 3-4 years, thus they do not need it. At least I imagine they would rather sacrifice graphics over responsiveness and not having to be always online.
The people who can't afford that are more likely to have slower connections, or unreliable ones, which makes the service even more pointless.
Also, this would be every console vendors wet dream, the fact that Nintendo and others haven't done it is probably a good indicator of it's viability. The only thing i can imagine this working on is phones - except there the limited data plan by providers renders it useless again.

I don't think so, you are not taking into the equation countries like India and China, where the electricity is very cheap and cloud services are considerably cheaper. I mean there cloud services are really cheap like half the price. Here in Argentina turner international has deployed it's cloud gaming service and it's really cheap, 7.99 usd for unlimited gaming (ok at 720p), you can't beat that price, similar services in other countries cost 19.99 at least with limited gaming hours. That price really makes sense to me because it's what I normally spend on a game (games are cheaper here and I tend to buy on sale), so for 7.99 I can access several games for the price of one. At the time being the catalogue is really limited it works like the "onlive" gaming service, (not like others where you can load your steam account), but when the catalogue expands it could really make a lot of sense.

( here's the link to turner gaming service if someone wants to dig further https://gloud.games/ , not sure I think that turner is a time warner subsidiary ).

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.