You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
[Workaround] Remove flickering from Epic Games Launcher in Lutris
Xaero_Vincent commented on 15 March 2019 at 2:20 am UTC

After seeing a youtube video on how to fix the CEF web view related flicker in the Epic Games Launcher program in Wine, I noticed it no longer works as explained in the video.

After some fiddling, I discovered a different way to apply the workaround that seems to work.

1) Install Epic Games Launcher in Lutris as normal
2) Run the launcher for the first time and sign in. Be sure to check "Remember Me"
3) The launcher will start with the normal flickering. So use the system tray icon to exit the app.
4) In Lutris change these to this:

Executable:
/home/yourusername/Games/epic-games-launcher/drive_c/windows/system32/rundll32.exe

Arguments:
url.dll,FileProtocolHandler com.epicgames.launcher://apps/blank?action=launch&silent=true

5) Now, Epic Games Launcher should start as Wine tray app. Wait a few seconds then right click the icon and select "Home".

That should be all there is to it but it's not perfect. I tested this in Manjaro with Wine tkg-4.3 with the 'shcore' DLL override deleted. It also works with the 'stock' Lutris installer config too. DXVK appears to need to be disabled or else it can cause the program to hang.

Caveats
* When done, always exit out of the app without signing out or else you'll need to repeat step #2 and #3.

* This only works until a game is launched. After a game is quit and you return to the launcher, you'll have to exit the launcher and re-open it once again to remove the flickering.

* Minimize the launcher by pressing the '_' minimize button and not the 'X' button, or else the window will flicker when restored.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Crawl About: „StarCrawlers“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts