Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
What's the first game you played on Linux?
Page: «5/6»
  Go to:
lordfragger Dec 9, 2013
First Game I played on Linux:
Quake, back in the late nineties on RedHat 6 if I'm not mistaking :D.

First game that I purchased:
No idea...

Last game I purchased:
Ravensword: shadowlands

Last physical game I purchased:
Skyrim. Not a linux game, but I don't think I've ever bought one of those on physical media.

Next purchase:
Maybe total war: rome II, maybe tropico 4 or maybe something else entirely, we'll see

Free game that I'm still playing:
None at the moment really, have played some TF2 some time ago.
Hamish Dec 9, 2013
Unless you insist on having every graphical effect turned on Xonotic does not scale that bad, at least in my experience.
david Jan 5, 2014
Frozen Bubble or XMoto... I can't remember... but it was on SuSe Linux around 2002 or 2003

Some weird 90's inline skating game from a budget table. Was incredibly crap and ugly.

Last game I purchased:
Natural Selection 2 ... only to find out it won't run on an Intel HD 4000 because of driver issues.

Last physical game I purchased:
Diablo 3

Next purchase:
Rust or Starbound unless some weird sale has something better to offer :D

Dota 2
mdibaiee Jan 9, 2014
I think it was TeeWorlds :D

Bastion it was, I bought it at steam not Ubuntu software centre.

Last game I purchased:
Natural Selection 2

Next purchase:
No idea, really. :D

Dota 2
adolson Jan 17, 2014
First game? Likely something included in the distros back in 2000... Couldn't tell ya what. But my first commercial game was Doom. I got it working on pretty much every distro and OS I tried back then, even BeOS (though I can't recall if QNX ran it or not).

First game I purchased, specifically for Linux? I dunno for sure. I checked my PayPal history and I see my first TuxGames order on Dec 8 2002 for $130. Can't recall what that was, as I made a lot of orders in the early days. But that wasn't my first purchase, because I bought Neverwinter Nights on launch day, summer of 2002 (and then waited for 9 months for the promised Linux port...). However, I know for a fact that I bought several Linux games late 2001-early 2002 at retail locations, before NWN released, including Loki's Quake 3 Arena in the silver tin and Terminus. But I do believe that my very first Linux purchase was Eric's Ultimate Solitaire, which I have installed as recently as November last year... I remember I paid $4.99 at EB Games for it and the manual was humorous.

Last game I purchased? ArmA Tactics. The only game with a Linux port in this week's Humble Weekly Sale.

Last physical game I purchased? For Linux - Sacred Gold in 2009, from TuxGames. For other platforms (PS3) - Beyond: Two Souls, or bargain-bin Crysis 3, I forget which.

Next purchase? If nothing new releases or goes on sale before then, Octodad: Dadliest Catch. Really trying to limit my non-Linux game purchases, as my PS3 and Vita backlogs are quite big, and my Linux library is growing practically daily.

Free game I still play? Umm, The Dark Mod, though "still playing" implies a longer history than I have with the game.
Astro Feb 9, 2014
I've already had Unreal Tournament 2004 and this was my favorite game back in those days. And even more important thing is, I agreed to be a linux user because of this game.

What's the first game you purchased for Linux?
H-Craft Championship was the only one game I could buy then. Even though I wasn't a big fan of that kind of game, I bought it. That was a great feelings to buy a native linux game. I know, that sounds funny now.

What's the last game you purchased for Linux?
I've bought Not The Robots today.

What free Linux game are you still playing?
Free episodes of Commander Keen. I still love those games.
Xpander Mar 31, 2014
probably some games that came with (open)suse and kde back in the 2000 . but first "real" game was probably Savage 1

ET:QW if i remember correctly

uhh..thats a hard one.. cause i buy a lot... last one was probably Little Racers STREET

Whats the next game you will purchase for Linux?
probably Project Zomboid if multiplayer gets into main branch.. but if there will be something good and new before ...then i will buy as well

What free Linux game are you still playing?
Xonotic, Unknown Horizons and sometimes openRA
Cybolic Mar 31, 2014
Not sure, but I think it was Chromium (the shoot'em'up, not the browser ;)).

Quake: The Offering - the huge cardboard box for the special Linux edition of Quake. Still proud to own that to this day.

Hmm... It was either Race The Sun or The Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville - I tend to buy anything with a good review and a Linux version so I'm not quite sure which was the last.

What's the next game you will purchase for Linux?
Hopefully The Witcher 2.

Which free Linux game are you still playing?
None.
oldrocker99 Apr 2, 2014
The first game I played on Linux was Warzone 2100, having played the original 'way back in 1999.

The first game I purchased was Neverwinter Nights Platinum, at a very good time; I'd played the Windows version since 2002 and 2008 was when BioWare put out the enormous 1.69 patch, and was native Linux!

The last non-Bundle game I purchased for Linux was Europa Universalis IV.

The next game I will purchase for Linux? I have already downloaded all but the executable for Witcher 2 (the executable is still in beta); I bought X-COM: Enemy Unknown last year, and it's coming out (it says here) this summer; and what I am most hoping for is a native version of Skyrim.

I was noticeable a year ago for saying 2013 would be The Year Of Linux Gaming. 2014 looks to be closer to the mark...
oldrocker99 Apr 2, 2014
PS--I do still play Battle for Wesnoth, 0AD, Warzone 2100.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.