Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Must play classic games?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
johndude835 Dec 1, 2019
Bioshock and temple run 3
Koopacabras Dec 1, 2019
All the Max Payne 1, 2 and 3 are pretty good. I think all of them work with Proton.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the ArkHam series, absolute classic I think all of them work, but for Arkham Knight you need wine staging or lutris.

Also Deadspace series but for the 3rd you need the origin client and it's too buggy for running it on wine. I recommend the 1st and the 2nd . The 3rd I could not play it because Origin works really bad with wine.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 2 December 2019 at 4:51 am UTC
Nasra Dec 2, 2019
Homeworld 1 and Emergence
namiko Dec 2, 2019
Startopia. Been having a blast the last couple of months doing the single-player campaigns w/ the latest Proton (4.19?) and SC Controller.

Back then, I played Deus Ex, Morrowind on Windows, and Nintendo Gamecube. Probably did more gaming than was considered healthy in those days. :P
nate Dec 5, 2019
For games released in the 2000s that can be bought from Steam, definitely try The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Morrowind, as someone else already posted, can be played natively on Linux using the very awesome OpenMW recreation engine. Oblivion runs perfectly in wine.
Drakker Dec 5, 2019
Quoting: razing32RPG
Septerra Core , Gorky 17 (not many people i know played these but they are worth it in my opinion)

Wow, Septerra Core. I used to run one of the fan sites dedicated to this game during its development. It was indeed a great game, but you MUST play it with sone kind of game accelerator, because the fight animations were incredibly slooooow.

Gorky 17 / Odium was also an excellent game, good old times!

Last edited by Drakker on 5 December 2019 at 2:25 pm UTC
Xpander Dec 5, 2019
  • Mafia

• Max Payne (1 and 2)

• Vietcong (+Fist alpha)

• Hidden & Dangerous 2

• F.E.A.R.

• Blood (Fresh Supply works great also)

• Red Alert 2

• Cannon Fodder

• Commandos (1 and 2)

Just to name few
denyasis Dec 6, 2019
Guys it says a lot about me that a lot of these games still seem "new" to me, lol.

Classics that were a lot of fun from that era:
Morrowind
Far Cry
Sacrifice (kinda like fantasy Battlezone?)
Free Space 2
Bioshock
Amnesia
Sim city 4

a little older:
Planescape: torment (what changes the nature of a man?)
System shock 1 and 2
Dungeon keeper
Fallout 1 and 2
X-wing and Tie fighter
Alpha Centauri
furaxhornyx Dec 6, 2019
Not sure if Sacrifice is a "classic", since I don't know many people who have heard about the game event at the time, but it sure was one of the best games released in 2000 (along with Giants: Citizen Kabuto) <3
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.