Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
All Upcoming Games
tuxdelux Mar 29, 2019
Just a thought that I have been having over the last few months, as I follow GoL news... Can we kinda limit the number of "OMG< soon to be on linux" kind of posts? How many developers are going to claim they will support linux gamers, then not even follow through, when the game is released? Do we need to see every step of development, for a game that doesn't even have a linux build, yet? The front page is mostly filled with upcoming game news, for games that promise linux support but haven't delivered. Let's see more attention for games that are focused on linux gamers. Let's see developer interviews for games that have said "linux gamers are a special priority". I kind of get pissed off when I see all the attention to developers who *might* one day or maybe made a *half-hearted* attempt at support, when the true linux supporters just get a quick article.
chui2ch Mar 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure Liam posted on twitter that you can filter out articles that you don't want to see based on the tags. So you should filter out coming soon then. I personally love seeing what games have said they are going to support Linux. It makes it easier to wishlist the games that I want to get.
Liam Dawe Mar 30, 2019
QuoteCan we kinda limit the number of "OMG< soon to be on linux" kind of posts?
No. Sorry but I personally enjoy finding out about all the games coming to Linux and I run the site mostly based on what interests me. On top of that, anyone can write an article for us and submit it any time if they want to see something longer about their favourite game.

If you personally want to limit it, simply filter out the "Coming Soon" tag entirely in the UserCP.

QuoteHow many developers are going to claim they will support linux gamers, then not even follow through, when the game is released?
A minority. Here's some actual backup of that too, our crowdfunding tracker only shows 17/155 projects not delivering and I've still got plenty to put up there that did deliver so the percentage of failures is actually lower.

Outside of that, the amount that don't deliver when they said they would is still very low compared to the overall number. Otherwise, you would see a lot more posts from me about those games not delivering.

QuoteDo we need to see every step of development, for a game that doesn't even have a linux build, yet?
If it interests me personally, then yes, you will see it ;)

Part of the point of coming soon posts, is also where I speak to the developers to get up to date confirmation that they do still plan Linux support. A lot of them are updates on games announced for Linux a long time ago. Getting up to date confirmation is important, for many reasons, not least of which to remind developers we're here.

On top of that, the amount of times I've posted an update about a game where there's comments from people saying they forgot all about it, again shows the importance to our readers of it.

QuoteLet's see more attention for games that are focused on linux gamers.
You and everyone else need to understand we are a minority market, we have a tiny market share and practically no developer is focused on Linux. 99% of Linux versions are done because the game engine made it mostly easy.

QuoteLet's see developer interviews for games that have said "linux gamers are a special priority".
Interviews take time, sometimes weeks and months to get answers. Developers are often extremely busy and overworked and when they're not developing a lot of the time they really don't want to sift through hundreds of their emails and take half an hour to an hour extra to speak to us. That's just the reality.

Not just that, but it's really surprising when people like you do complain about things like this, there's not even one single suggestion on someone to speak to. You obviously have some developers in mind, so why not give actual feedback and suggestions on it rather than just a wall of text complaint?

QuoteI kind of get pissed off when I see all the attention to developers who *might* one day or maybe made a *half-hearted* attempt at support, when the true linux supporters just get a quick article.
Rubbish. I treat everything practically equally. If you wonder why a lot don't get a larger article, it will be because the developer likely didn't reply to a key request and I simply cannot buy games constantly, as GamingOnLinux is run very tightly financially as it is.

If you want more video content and not just articles, you also need to remember just how long videos can take to make. Even a simple 5 minute video can end up costing hours of editing time.

Always remember: What's not interesting to you, will be interesting to plenty of other people.

Please also remember that GamingOnLinux is 99% run by one person, me. Everyone has limits.
tuxdelux Apr 3, 2019
Your response is appreciated, Liam. Your extensive work is great, and sharing your interest in the game keeps me coming back to GoL.
Not to be argumentative, but you have to agree that priority of "linux support" changes from developer to developer. I have even seen several steam forum posts where developers claim to use linux as their own gaming platform preferences. And one such developers, since you asked for a suggestion, is VoxelStorm. Not sure how active they are today, but in 2017, they did not get special attention of their sphereFACE game, even as they were trying to push the virtual reality standards. We, as linux gamers, need some indie developers to rally behind, to whole-heartedly endorse, who seem to be fighting for our gaming environment. Most of these people right now are in the emulation scene, which seems to me an endorsement of some other non-linux platforms, especially as it enables the linux-gamer's purchases of other platform's games.
Liam Dawe Apr 3, 2019
QuoteYour response is appreciated, Liam. Your extensive work is great, and sharing your interest in the game keeps me coming back to GoL.
Thank you for the kind words.

As for sphereFACE, it did get a dedicated article. It was quite a while after release though, as the developer didn't originally send a key at release.

QuoteWe, as linux gamers, need some indie developers to rally behind, to whole-heartedly endorse, who seem to be fighting for our gaming environment.
I agree and I do rally behind a lot of those who do support Linux, giving updates on their games regularly. You will notice how certain games get mentioned a lot more often than others.
tuxdelux Apr 5, 2019
Regarding your interviews by emails, have you considered using VoIP software? It could even be an addition segment to your podcast, with the highlights tacked onto your game reivew.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.