You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Top notifications are a little excessive
Hori commented on 2 April 2019 at 5:05 pm UTC

The number and size of top notifications is a bit excessive.

I don't really mind them personally - tbh it's the first time I even notice them. Who know's how long they've been there for. (just like the 39 inbox alerts which I'm probably never going to check)

Surely there's something that can be done to prevent such a large percentage of the page's height being covered by them. On the website's end I mean, because on my end I'm just going to dismiss them but that's not ideal.

I'm just saying that if they are too many, they will seem unimportant.

razing32 commented on 2 April 2019 at 7:18 pm UTC

Maybe make them hidden in an options menu ?
I never got more than two i think and i usually ignore them and scroll down and open every article in a new tab to read it .

Liam Dawe commented on 2 April 2019 at 7:18 pm UTC

You're absolutely right, it's something I've been thinking over how to do better.

If you have a good suggestion, I'm all yours.

Ps. If the numbered notifications annoy you next to your avatar at the top, feel free to adjust preferences for them here.

Update: I've looked over the code, moved some stuff around and changed it so it only shows one at a time and the one it shows will be random.

GermainZ commented on 3 April 2019 at 11:19 am UTC

QuoteUpdate: I've looked over the code, moved some stuff around and changed it so it only shows one at a time and the one it shows will be random.

Looks lovely now IMO, thanks

Hori commented on 16 April 2019 at 1:50 pm UTC

liamdaweYou're absolutely right, it's something I've been thinking over how to do better.

If you have a good suggestion, I'm all yours.

Ps. If the numbered notifications annoy you next to your avatar at the top, feel free to adjust preferences for them here.

Update: I've looked over the code, moved some stuff around and changed it so it only shows one at a time and the one it shows will be random.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything.
But what you did sounds good.

And after you close it, it shows the next?
Can't check right now since I dismissed them already.

EDIT: Seems like it only shows the next after refreshing the page.

I don't want to sound annoying or anything, but I think it might be better (by a little) if it showed the next one right away after dismissing the previous. A nice effect would also go in hand, to make sure that the user noticed the change and is aware that a different notification is now displayed, and doesn't close it by mistake.

Liam Dawe commented on 16 April 2019 at 6:34 pm UTC

That would require a much bigger re-work and extra JS coding that I simply don't have time for right now. This quick fix is "good enough" for now basically.

dorrismillerrr123 commented on 7 August 2019 at 8:55 am UTC

They just take up a lot of space. You can hide them in the context menu or so that after reading they disappear. Or so that after reading they go to some folder / tab in the menu (like View Profile).

Liam Dawe commented on 7 August 2019 at 8:58 am UTC

dorrismillerrr123They just take up a lot of space. You can hide them in the context menu or so that after reading they disappear. Or so that after reading they go to some folder / tab in the menu (like View Profile).
Not sure what you're trying to say? This was solved 4 months ago.

damarrin commented on 7 August 2019 at 11:41 am UTC

New user with profile set to private? Bot/spammer for sure.

Liam Dawe commented on 7 August 2019 at 1:49 pm UTC

damarrinNew user with profile set to private? Bot/spammer for sure.
Profiles are private by default (as of quite some time ago).

damarrin commented on 7 August 2019 at 2:08 pm UTC

Hmmm, am I being too forthcoming with info? :-)

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • The Dark Eye: „Drakensang“ (via Proton)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts