Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr and Liberapay!
Rare physical copy of a PC game with native linux installer
Linuxak commented on 22 April 2019 at 10:16 am UTC

Hi guys! (btw: sorry for my english)

I dont know if its only me or what, but Im shocked!

Why is that? Well, I switched to linux not a long time ago, and Im still kind of newbie of course. I never collected physical copies even back than, when I used Windows. But still, I have a few copies left, just for a nice memory, for "good old times"... kind of.

And here is the thing...

Unreal Tournament 2004 from Epic Games, with Tux logo next to Epic logo, what the actual hell? I never seen anything like this before. Linux port before it was cool? Nice! BTW: The installer still works in my Manjaro gaming rig, but the game is already glitchy (too old obviously).

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? You were aware of this, or its totally new information for you?

image image

image image

whizse commented on 22 April 2019 at 11:05 am UTC

Nice find!

Going back further, Loki did Linux ports proper boxes, between 1998 and 2001 I think.

Not my collection or image! Reddit link.

Also LGP did Linux ports with physical releases on DVD.

Not sure what problems you had with UT2004, I had it working fine a couple of months ago and had to to do less work on it than some new ports from GOG..

coryrj19951 commented on 22 April 2019 at 12:52 pm UTC

That's really cool and I actually have one too! Myth 2. The one I really want to find is Rune but it's kinda difficult to find these It makes me kinda wish Feral or even Aspyr would do a few, maybe with someone like Limited Run Games.

Ehvis commented on 22 April 2019 at 2:37 pm UTC

I doubt we will see any new ones for that.

These are the ones I was able to locate:

Linuxak commented on 22 April 2019 at 3:16 pm UTC

Wow, awesome! This pics made my day. Thank you all. Seriously, Linux ports was made before it was cool.

tuubi commented on 22 April 2019 at 3:34 pm UTC

LinuxakWow, awesome! This pics made my day. Thank you all. Seriously, Linux ports was made before it was cool.
What do you mean "before it was cool". I think what you're trying to say is "before it was profitable".

damarrin commented on 22 April 2019 at 6:42 pm UTC

Yeah, I bought a few of those as well. X3, Gorky, Sacred, Myth II. Wonderful times. I still sleep in the X3 T-shirt. It was never good enough to wear outside, unfortunately.

Avehicle7887 commented on 22 April 2019 at 7:26 pm UTC

I still have a boxed copy of UT2004, that was the first time I saw the Linux logo on a game. I'd imagine if PC boxed releases were still happening in the present day, the Linux logo would be on many of them.

damarrin commented on 22 April 2019 at 7:37 pm UTC

They do happen, believe it or not. I have a physical copy of Tyranny which mentions Linux on the box. There’s no installer on the dvd however. :-(

Robert commented on 22 April 2019 at 9:17 pm UTC

I have been building a collection of boxed Linux games for years. Most of them have been made by me, but there are also some original boxes from Linux Game Publishing, Runesoft, ID Software, Slitherine and others. The boxes are usually made when I finish playing a game, that's why the recent games are missing. I don't have time to play and the queue is growing to the infinite. ATM I'm playing games that were purchased 3 years ago

The older covers are totally crap because I started doing this with zero Gimp skills, but they have extra nostalgic value. I'm not saying that now I can do them any better.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts