Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Arch based distros and stability
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
RossBC Jun 26, 2019
There is also Arcolinux now, which is a derivative of Arch Linux. Would recommend it over Manjaro now for new/non-commited users of Arch. It is easy to use and the devs put up how to videos for things.
Would never recommend Antergos though as for whatever reason it chews through resources/runs slow in comparison to Manjaro or Arcolinux.
Spud13y Jun 27, 2019
Quoting: mortigarThere is also Arcolinux now, which is a derivative of Arch Linux. Would recommend it over Manjaro now for new/non-commited users of Arch. It is easy to use and the devs put up how to videos for things.
Would never recommend Antergos though as for whatever reason it chews through resources/runs slow in comparison to Manjaro or Arcolinux.

The developers of Antergos announced that they were quitting, so that's not a good idea.
fabertawe Jun 27, 2019
Just spotted this thread... :D

I've been using Arch since 2009 because I got cheesed off with the 6 monthly Ubuntu upgrade and having stale packages. It's nice to see other Arch users chime in saying they've had few problems, I thought I was the only one having it easy

And I mean very few problems, all of which were sorted quickly and easily. I had much bigger problems running Ubuntu but then I didn't really know what I was doing until I installed and set up Arch from scratch.

I would say try it in a VM first, if you're hesitant. Even if you decide against it, you'll probably still learn something new. I'm by no means any kind of advanced computer user but getting to grips with the basics really set me up nicely for using Linux in general. I love knowing exactly what I've installed and what I'm running (roll my own DE, window manager plus select components). There's always a fully blown DE a quick install away to hold your hand if you want that.

I can't comment on any of the other distros because I've never tried any of them! There is nothing with Arch I think could be be better to warrant me trying something else. And compiling stuff is an absolute doddle with the AUR and PKGBUILDs, so simple and elegant.

That's my experience anyway. The freedom of choice and variety of Linux is wonderful.
NotSoQT Jun 27, 2019
From my experience and only that:

Tried Antergos, but Plasma was very unstable on it, to the point I had to give up.

Switched to Manjaro. Plasma was fine, so I decided to stick with it. I'm using for about a year (maybe more?) and my system broke at least twice.

First time cuz I was messing with NVIDIA stuff. The second one was caused by an update, which later I saw in the news with instructions on how to fix it (downgrading a certain package, via chroot, did it with the very same Live USB I used to install Manjaro).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.