You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
sr_ls_boy commented on 10 July 2019 at 1:58 pm UTC

sr_ls_boyI just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

Still not working for me, I am running the vulkan beta tho of it, dunno theorethically it should work.

I've should have thought of that. I'll try it out. I was indeed using the games default opengl renderer.

gort818 commented on 10 July 2019 at 3:57 pm UTC

Star Citizen gives me a gpu hang on my vega 56, I created an issue for it https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/70

Shmerl commented on 12 July 2019 at 10:33 pm UTC

GuestSo I tried compiling Mesa myself for the first time. Before I used the ppa referenced in the news article on GoL. I used your script @Shmerl but that did not work. I built the newest version of meson 0.51 but it kept looping endlessly on regenerating build files. Then I figured it is due to the compiler option meson --native-files and I deleted that. After that everything compiled and I tried launching vulkaninfo and games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VK_ICD_FILENAMES referenced to the build but all die saying bad driver.
What am I missing?

It's actually a bug in Meson 0.51.1. See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5505

It's fixed in Meson master, but 0.51.1 is broken with temporary native config files the way I was using it.

Linuxwarper commented on 13 July 2019 at 9:32 pm UTC

As part of testing the ACO shader compiler from Valve, I'm going to benchmark games prior to adding the Ubuntu PPA. But Talos Principle frustrates me a great deal. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Vulkan on in the game? I've followed instructions, carefully I'd say, from a pinned thread on game's official discussion forum on Steam. The results end up with 86 FPS for OpenGL and about 75 for Vulkan. I could not find a way to verify Vulkan was running through game settings (or be able to toggle between two APIs). All I could do was search for Vulkan in games Talo.ini file, which includes a vulkan variable when you follow the instructions I mentioned. But 75 for Vulkan and 86 for OpenGL - what's going on??

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 3:52 am UTC

Guestthx good to know !

Updated my script with workaround for Meson bug, and it can now also handle customizing Mesa repo to build both regular Mesa and Mesa-aco using the same script. See example in the inline documentation.

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 4:21 am UTC

Testing X4: Foundations, using Mesa-aco build with llvm9.

llvm:

aco:

ACO performs worse actually.

x_wing commented on 14 July 2019 at 11:09 am UTC

LinuxwarperAs part of testing the ACO shader compiler from Valve, I'm going to benchmark games prior to adding the Ubuntu PPA. But Talos Principle frustrates me a great deal. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Vulkan on in the game? I've followed instructions, carefully I'd say, from a pinned thread on game's official discussion forum on Steam. The results end up with 86 FPS for OpenGL and about 75 for Vulkan. I could not find a way to verify Vulkan was running through game settings (or be able to toggle between two APIs). All I could do was search for Vulkan in games Talo.ini file, which includes a vulkan variable when you follow the instructions I mentioned. But 75 for Vulkan and 86 for OpenGL - what's going on??

I think that in the last update of the engine they probably removed the option to switch the graphic api (i.e. will always use vulkan). I'm 100% sure of this for Serious Sam (I definitely made the question in their forums).

Regarding the performance, I remember that TP always had better fps with OGL

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 4:11 pm UTC

GuestIf you find the time, could you by chance adopt the script so that the output wents to /opt/mesa-aco directly? It always lands in $HOME/mnt/vmshare/opt/mesa-aco/opt/mesa-aco . I tried adopting it myself but then it always lands in /opt/mesa-aco/opt/mesa-aco

I can take a look how to do it. The reason I put it in $HOME/mnt/vmshare in general, is that I like to build it in VM, that has a share with the host Linux (both through $HOME/mnt/vmshare). So I simply use another small script to publish the result on the host from that to /opt/mesa-master proper.

However, it should be possible to override the destination with the env var. Let me add that.

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 5:19 pm UTC

GuestIf you find the time, could you by chance adopt the script so that the output wents to /opt/mesa-aco directly?

I updated the script.

Try doing:

dest_dir=/ mesa_debian_build.sh

I don't recommend such method though, since it will try to write directly to /opt/mesa-<branch>/* and delete stuff there as well. It's preferable to build in some local isolation, and deploy as a separate step.

Shmerl commented on 16 July 2019 at 12:16 am UTC

Supraland

llvm:

aco:

Both are pretty bad, due to Unreal Engine not using Vulkan effectively and frametimes being completely messed up.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Build Up: „Hive Time“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts