You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
sr_ls_boy commented on 6 July 2019 at 12:50 pm UTC

I just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

medicalcannabis commented on 6 July 2019 at 5:41 pm UTC

This was trivial to set up in Gentoo. I took the existing mesa-9999 ebuild, copied it to mesa-9999-r1.ebuild and changed the git address in the file to point at ACO's repo. Once I recompiled (and keyworded llvm/clang v8 to ~amd64), everything worked.

On AMD Raven Ridge hardware (Ryzen 5 2400G), this has been a night-and-day difference. Games like No Man's Sky (beta Vulkan renderer) would crash after loading all shaders due to the lag required to build motion blur on the fly. This not only solved that issue, but I'm able to do 30fps with all settings maxed, when before it was a complete slideshow. On emulators such as Cemu and Dolphin, shaders are compiling fast enough that I don't even have to run through each Mario Kart 8 level once to build a sufficient shader cache.

dubigrasu commented on 7 July 2019 at 8:30 am UTC

Shadow of the Tomb Raider tested with Proton, Highest settings:

Average FPS:
LLVM = 50.1
ACO = 52.8

Not that much of a difference in terms of average FPS, but the ACO frametimes still look better:

chancho_zombie commented on 8 July 2019 at 10:33 am UTC

woww someone just deleted my build on Opensuse Build Service, with no advice no email, nothing. I think that OBS devs don't like out of tree packages.

entropie commented on 10 July 2019 at 7:39 am UTC

sr_ls_boyI just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

Still not working for me, I am running the vulkan beta tho of it, dunno theorethically it should work.

sr_ls_boy commented on 10 July 2019 at 1:58 pm UTC

entropie
sr_ls_boyI just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

Still not working for me, I am running the vulkan beta tho of it, dunno theorethically it should work.

I've should have thought of that. I'll try it out. I was indeed using the games default opengl renderer.

gort818 commented on 10 July 2019 at 3:57 pm UTC

Star Citizen gives me a gpu hang on my vega 56, I created an issue for it https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/70

entropie commented on 12 July 2019 at 2:14 pm UTC

gort818Star Citizen gives me a gpu hang on my vega 56, I created an issue for it https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/70

The latest Wine Ubuntu PPA mesa/aco drivers dont launch Star Citizen for me as well. It launches till the point when the main game window is called and that stays dark then. No GPU hang tho, I can kill the wineserver still and resume.

Anthem is running great tho on that drivers. 60 - 70 fps appears to be no problem at all. I have still the strange glitch that I tend to fall through the floor in Anthem and then die from drowning. Quite strange but not ACO related.

Shmerl commented on 12 July 2019 at 10:33 pm UTC

entropieSo I tried compiling Mesa myself for the first time. Before I used the ppa referenced in the news article on GoL. I used your script @Shmerl but that did not work. I built the newest version of meson 0.51 but it kept looping endlessly on regenerating build files. Then I figured it is due to the compiler option meson --native-files and I deleted that. After that everything compiled and I tried launching vulkaninfo and games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VK_ICD_FILENAMES referenced to the build but all die saying bad driver.
What am I missing?

It's actually a bug in Meson 0.51.1. See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5505

It's fixed in Meson master, but 0.51.1 is broken with temporary native config files the way I was using it.

entropie commented on 13 July 2019 at 7:43 pm UTC

Shmerl
entropieSo I tried compiling Mesa myself for the first time. Before I used the ppa referenced in the news article on GoL. I used your script @Shmerl but that did not work. I built the newest version of meson 0.51 but it kept looping endlessly on regenerating build files. Then I figured it is due to the compiler option meson --native-files and I deleted that. After that everything compiled and I tried launching vulkaninfo and games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VK_ICD_FILENAMES referenced to the build but all die saying bad driver.
What am I missing?

It's actually a bug in Meson 0.51.1. See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5505

It's fixed in Meson master, but 0.51.1 is broken with temporary native config files the way I was using it.

thx good to know !

Star Citizen runs amazing for me now, yet the faces of NPCs are cluttered and firing ballistic weapons causes a game freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYXquX6ZKns

45 fps in Area 18 and 60 - 70 outside. Almost no stuttering and first shader compilation is done with only little microstuttering, pretty amazing !

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Puzzle Tiles: „Flux Caves“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts