Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
sr_ls_boy commented on 10 July 2019 at 1:58 pm UTC

sr_ls_boyI just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

Still not working for me, I am running the vulkan beta tho of it, dunno theorethically it should work.

I've should have thought of that. I'll try it out. I was indeed using the games default opengl renderer.

gort818 commented on 10 July 2019 at 3:57 pm UTC

Star Citizen gives me a gpu hang on my vega 56, I created an issue for it https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/70

Shmerl commented on 12 July 2019 at 10:33 pm UTC

GuestSo I tried compiling Mesa myself for the first time. Before I used the ppa referenced in the news article on GoL. I used your script @Shmerl but that did not work. I built the newest version of meson 0.51 but it kept looping endlessly on regenerating build files. Then I figured it is due to the compiler option meson --native-files and I deleted that. After that everything compiled and I tried launching vulkaninfo and games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VK_ICD_FILENAMES referenced to the build but all die saying bad driver.
What am I missing?

It's actually a bug in Meson 0.51.1. See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5505

It's fixed in Meson master, but 0.51.1 is broken with temporary native config files the way I was using it.

Linuxwarper commented on 13 July 2019 at 9:32 pm UTC

As part of testing the ACO shader compiler from Valve, I'm going to benchmark games prior to adding the Ubuntu PPA. But Talos Principle frustrates me a great deal. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Vulkan on in the game? I've followed instructions, carefully I'd say, from a pinned thread on game's official discussion forum on Steam. The results end up with 86 FPS for OpenGL and about 75 for Vulkan. I could not find a way to verify Vulkan was running through game settings (or be able to toggle between two APIs). All I could do was search for Vulkan in games Talo.ini file, which includes a vulkan variable when you follow the instructions I mentioned. But 75 for Vulkan and 86 for OpenGL - what's going on??

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 3:52 am UTC

Guestthx good to know !

Updated my script with workaround for Meson bug, and it can now also handle customizing Mesa repo to build both regular Mesa and Mesa-aco using the same script. See example in the inline documentation.

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 4:21 am UTC

Testing X4: Foundations, using Mesa-aco build with llvm9.

llvm:

aco:

ACO performs worse actually.

x_wing commented on 14 July 2019 at 11:09 am UTC

LinuxwarperAs part of testing the ACO shader compiler from Valve, I'm going to benchmark games prior to adding the Ubuntu PPA. But Talos Principle frustrates me a great deal. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Vulkan on in the game? I've followed instructions, carefully I'd say, from a pinned thread on game's official discussion forum on Steam. The results end up with 86 FPS for OpenGL and about 75 for Vulkan. I could not find a way to verify Vulkan was running through game settings (or be able to toggle between two APIs). All I could do was search for Vulkan in games Talo.ini file, which includes a vulkan variable when you follow the instructions I mentioned. But 75 for Vulkan and 86 for OpenGL - what's going on??

I think that in the last update of the engine they probably removed the option to switch the graphic api (i.e. will always use vulkan). I'm 100% sure of this for Serious Sam (I definitely made the question in their forums).

Regarding the performance, I remember that TP always had better fps with OGL

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 4:11 pm UTC

GuestIf you find the time, could you by chance adopt the script so that the output wents to /opt/mesa-aco directly? It always lands in $HOME/mnt/vmshare/opt/mesa-aco/opt/mesa-aco . I tried adopting it myself but then it always lands in /opt/mesa-aco/opt/mesa-aco

I can take a look how to do it. The reason I put it in $HOME/mnt/vmshare in general, is that I like to build it in VM, that has a share with the host Linux (both through $HOME/mnt/vmshare). So I simply use another small script to publish the result on the host from that to /opt/mesa-master proper.

However, it should be possible to override the destination with the env var. Let me add that.

Shmerl commented on 14 July 2019 at 5:19 pm UTC

GuestIf you find the time, could you by chance adopt the script so that the output wents to /opt/mesa-aco directly?

I updated the script.

Try doing:

dest_dir=/ mesa_debian_build.sh

I don't recommend such method though, since it will try to write directly to /opt/mesa-<branch>/* and delete stuff there as well. It's preferable to build in some local isolation, and deploy as a separate step.

Shmerl commented on 16 July 2019 at 12:16 am UTC

Supraland

llvm:

aco:

Both are pretty bad, due to Unreal Engine not using Vulkan effectively and frametimes being completely messed up.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • RPM Flow: „Pathway“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts