Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
New PC build, what you are thinking about it?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
stud68 Oct 5, 2019
I cant say for Gigabyte but have had ASUS for my last 3 builds all pretty spot on with many distro hopping adventures over the years.
bent Oct 14, 2019
I was skeptical about Gigabyte boards too, having always gone with ASUS boards in the past. This time though I tried the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra have been super happy with it. No issues with it at all and has been stable/cool.

Only problem I ran into with Linux was the SystemD problem but that's been fixed with later bios updates - which is crazy easy to do with this board too.
ageres Nov 17, 2019
I've bought ASRock X570 Pro4, and for some reason it doesn't detect my 3200 MHz RAM. I exchanged with my nephew for his 8 GB 2133 MHz RAM module. It works on my computer, mine does on his (I don't remember what MoBo he's got, something cheap but Intel-based.) What could be a cause for that?

There is a table on ASRock website:

Can someone explain what the hell all these numbers mean? Can't I just plug two 16 GB DDR4-3200 modules now and two more later, like I was about to do? I mean, I bought random cheap DDR3 RAM many times for my old computer and for computers at my work, swapped modules and never got any troubles with incompatibility or something. I thought it would be as simple for DDR4 :(
Shmerl Nov 17, 2019
RAM is a tricky thing with Ryzen. Random RAM is a bad idea to begin with, especially high frequency one. Better get good quality Samsung B-die chips if you want normal experience.
Avehicle7887 Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: ageresThere is a table on ASRock website:

Can someone explain what the hell all these numbers mean?

SR/DR refer to Single Rank and Dual Rank, see here: https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html
To keep it simple, if you're using only 2 sticks of ram, then you have nothing to worry about as long as you're using 2 of the same type and you can run them at 3200MHZ. However if you wish to add another 2 later the maximum speed you can attain is 2933MHZ if you're using 4 at the same time and it's important that all 4 are Single Rank (preferably all 4 of the same).

A1, A2, B1, B2 is referring to the Dimm slots.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 17 November 2019 at 9:37 am UTC
Shmerl Nov 17, 2019
That's without XMP and RAM overclocking. With RAM overclocking, you can have higher frequencies. I'm running 4 RAM sticks at 3600 MHz with Asrock X570 Taichi.

Last edited by Shmerl on 17 November 2019 at 9:47 am UTC
tuubi Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: ageresThere is a table on ASRock website:

Can someone explain what the hell all these numbers mean?
To me that looks like only slots A2 and B2 support 3200Mhz RAM. But surely that can't be right.

In any case, vendors supply lists of compatible memory modules for their HW. You can find one for your ASRock here.

Last edited by tuubi on 17 November 2019 at 9:53 am UTC
ageres Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887However if you wish to add another 2 later the maximum speed you can attain is 2933MHZ if you're using 4 at the same time.
Does that mean that 3200 MHz ram will work at 2933 MHz frequency or it won't work at all?
Avehicle7887 Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: ageres
Quoting: Avehicle7887However if you wish to add another 2 later the maximum speed you can attain is 2933MHZ if you're using 4 at the same time.
Does that mean that 3200 MHz ram will work at 2933 MHz frequency or it won't work at all?

Going strictly by that table if you're using 4 sticks it can reach 2933MHZ, however that table is also a bit misleading since your motherboard can support higher frequencies than that:

From your motherboard's homepage (link:

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse) support DDR4 4066+(OC) / 4000(OC) / 3866(OC) / 3800(OC) / 3733(OC) / 3600(OC) / 3466(OC) / 3200 / 2933 / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

Also I noticed you never mentioned which brand and model is the ram you're trying to install.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 17 November 2019 at 10:26 am UTC
ageres Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887however that table is also a bit misleading since your motherboard can support higher frequencies than that
That what confused me too.
Quoting: Avehicle7887Also I noticed you never mentioned which brand and model is the ram you're trying to install.
It's MLLSE, and I have recently ordered ADATA XPG.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.