Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
The book of unwritten tales Linux build does not work anymore.
Dedale 15 Aug, 2019

Long ago, when i briefly tried it there was a small bug on it that prevented me from modifying some settings. I tried to contact the studio and got zero response. Then i forgot about the game.

Much later i tried to start it again on my Xubuntu 18.04 up to date. I did not even start up. After a bit of googling an found this steam thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/221830/discussions/0/1694922980036750139/

And another: https://steamcommunity.com/app/221830/discussions/0/1694922980036750139/

I found the work-aroud a bit convoluted and started the game in proton instead. It works with the occasional slowdown. I find it sad i do not use the Linux native i paid for. The game is cool but what is the point of natives if they break so soon. Save for a few screens i won't have used the Linux build at all.

I also have been told that this studio was bad at supporting its own games. Once released, it's mostly over for them.

What are your thoughts and advices as experienced players of this game ? I am curious ?

Avehicle7887 15 Aug, 2019

I think the issue is no different than running old Windows games on Win10. I find the story with Linux to be quite similar, it's just that Linux works differently (and maybe slightly more annoying).

I encountered your issue a few times with other games and I've resolved it by borrowing libraries from older distros. The 'libpng12' library happens to be a fairly common one, I borrowed mine from the Debian 8 repo.

Ehvis 15 Aug, 2019

Looks like your average dependency breakage. Mostly the Steam runtime will solve that, but sometimes it gets more complicated. The hardest ones to fix were those where dependency breakage was combined with actual bugs which hid the actual problem.

I suspect these things will start to get more common now that the new wave of Linux games has passed five years.

stan 15 Aug, 2019

I’ve never been able to play this game because of the settings crash bug. Yep, bad developers, zero support :(.

wolfyrion 16 Aug, 2019

Is working fine here ...

Well it started with resolution 1024x768 - the game changed the whole desktop to that resolution as well ><
Applied the correct settings with the resolution I am using 2560x1440 , exit the game fixed the desktop resolution as well , launched the game and thats it.
I have noticed also 2560x1440 doesnt cover full screen but 2560 x 1600 does works fine

Dedale 16 Aug, 2019

I sometimes wonder if you Manjaro people do not have an easier time running games than us vanilla *buntu'ers ! :D

I made a few experiments with Manjaro KDE and was happy with it. I ran a few games.

damarrin 16 Aug, 2019

TBoUT Critter Chronicles Steam just hangs for me on startup on Ubuntu 19.04. No error messages, just 100% core use and fan noise. Not cool.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...