Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
  Go to:
An Open Letter to Liam Dawe on Censorship
Poll results: Which of these two extremes would you find preferable?
Never Close Comments, *EVER*

27 vote(s)
93%
Remove Comments Feature Entirely

2 vote(s)
7%
Cestarian commented on 29 August 2019 at 9:35 pm UTC

The issues in my opinion, aren't that there was an article about this stuff, I mean it's not like a gaming news site has to be strictly about releases and updates and only that (I mean we talk about drivers and tools too in the articles right?), this too is about gaming, and a game that supports linux, there's no reason not to report on it.

The problem here is that when Liam posted this article he picked a side, rather than just making a neutral article about it without giving up if he agrees with voidpoint or the sjws, he sided with the sjws in this case. So naturally whoever is not on that side will get pissed, myself included.

Since we're pissed we want to vent that somewhere, but here's the other problem, the actually bigger issue here, is that Liam also locked the comments preventing us from doing just that, essentially stating his opinion and then denying to hear anything about what anyone else had to say about it; at least in the comments for the article.

If Liam had just stayed neutral about this, and let us argue among ourselves in the comments like usual, we wouldn't be having a problem here.

But the way in which this was handled, people who disagree with liam's take on the matter feel silenced in a community they like and consider themselves a part of. That is not a nice feeling and of course those affected would feel mad about it.

Then again, maybe this wouldn't have been so bad if the comments were unlocked, when Liam fired off this article, it was like an explosion, and when he locked the comments, he tried to contain that explosion in a box, but the box couldn't take that pressure and blew up in his metaphorical face. If he had only just left the comments open, people could have vented about this, talked about this, told liam how wrong they think he is, and told those guys how wrong they are about liam being wrong, but instead, the people who could not vent their anger over the issue at the issue at hand, turned on the next target, which was liam, the poster of the article, and gamingonlinux, his website. Kaboom.

If this kind of shit keeps happening, then I will probably just leave too, like a lot of others, but leaving over one mistake is a bit extreme.

Like rkfg, I come here for linux gaming related news though, not to have propaganda and political opinions shoved down my throat. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... And I'm outta here.

tuubi commented on 30 August 2019 at 5:42 am UTC

CestarianLike rkfg, I come here for linux gaming related news though, not to have propaganda and political opinions shoved down my throat. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... And I'm outta here.
What's the problem with opinions that differ from yours? Echo chambers only lead to more conflict down the road. Liam has made it pretty clear that within certain limits, all opinions are welcome as long as you behave.

Dedale commented on 30 August 2019 at 8:50 am UTC

I am not fond of slashdot type moderation either. Far from promoting "quality" comments they simply favour dominant opinions. It actually goes in the direction of censorship. Plus you end up pushing off base banalities. The larger your public is, the worse are the promoted banalities.

I have no experience in reddit.

Liam Dawe commented on 30 August 2019 at 9:18 am UTC

DedaleI am not fond of slashdot type moderation either. Far from promoting "quality" comments they simply favour dominant opinions. It actually goes in the direction of censorship. Plus you end up pushing off base banalities. The larger your public is, the worse are the promoted banalities.
Exactly why it will not happen here, to ensure people do actually get an equal voice in comments and forum posts.

namiko commented on 30 August 2019 at 1:50 pm UTC

Liam DaweIf people don't like it, they can leave [...] and start their own site
Ah, the YouTube defence. Classic strategy.

This is the most overused argument in these situations. If I had the time, tech savvy, hardware, money, and sanity available to do such a thing, why the hell would I make suggestions in the first place?

If you really want to know why I made these suggestions to you rather than starting my own website and implementing them myself, it's because I'm a fan of GamingOnLinux and I thought it might help you, your personal life, and the community. Pardon me for caring so much. Next time I'll try harder to care less.

Cestarian is right, though, it just made me more pissed off to not have an outlet for dissent (visible in the comments, not hidden here) so that you -- and other readers -- would know what other people think too, even if you didn't like what the commenters had to say. That's how you respect people's opinions, not by just claiming to and telling them to piss off if they don't like how things are run.

It would have been simpler for everyone to let the comments go on until they burn themselves out (unless they do something against the rules or law). Too much to ask for?

Liam Dawe commented on 30 August 2019 at 2:00 pm UTC

namiko
Liam DaweIf people don't like it, they can leave [...] and start their own site
Ah, the YouTube defence. Classic strategy.
That's me getting tired of repeating myself and my stance. Some points will be taken on and thought on in more depth.

I've already given the reasons why it was locked, I don't wish to continue repeating myself on it. Right decision? In the end, who knows but it's done now.

Don't put GamingOnLinux, me or other editors in a box of your own making. We have never claimed to not have an opinion, I also absolutely do not agree that we shouldn't give our opinion, we've posted numerous editorials over the years and will continue to do so. This was a special case, since it affected Linux too being a Linux game.

Again, I've said all I care to on the topic now. I've put my own points across, as have others.

m2mg2 commented on 30 August 2019 at 3:09 pm UTC

A poll on extremes is pointless as most people don't want any extreme. For a valuable result you need add an option in between. Like say, I think it is being handled fine the way it is. That was intentional though wasn't it? I don't want either option and have no reason to vote. Never locking comments ever and having a completely open forum just doesn't work. You end up with comment sections like some current "news" organizations whose comment sections are almost nothing but hate filled, racist, misinformation distributing moronic dribble. They just highlight the worst that our society has to offer. Free speech means you have the right to voice your opinion, it doesn't mean people are forced to listen to you or allow you to post those opinions on their forums or other venues. If you want people to listen to you, you have to find people that want to listen to you, not try and force people to listen to you. There are places that let people say pretty much anything.

fnordianslip commented on 30 August 2019 at 3:18 pm UTC

Personally, I'm more than happy for racists, bigots and free marketeers to vote with their feet and go away. Good riddance, I say. I find it ironic that those who label other people as "Social Justice Warriors" tend to be heavily armed and willing to inflict violence on others, whereas those who are labelled as "SJWs" tend to be the least warrior-like people imaginable.

Power to the peaceful, as Michael Franti often sings.

amatai commented on 31 August 2019 at 12:26 pm UTC

CestarianThe problem here is that when Liam posted this article he picked a side, rather than just making a neutral article about it
He is a journalist, journalism is not neutral.
Would you like if he's been sending the neutral "You may support Linux or you may not" to the video games editors?
I read the website because I support the view of the contributors (and I will support financially the moment I have a stable income)
I totally support Liam & co on this issue. GOL is their home, free speech don't mean you can go on other peoples home to say rude things. If they want to close comment on an article because there are risk of a flame war who will cost them a few hours of their time to moderate it is their right. They have a finite amount of time to give to GOL that has so many better uses.

Hamish commented on 31 August 2019 at 2:14 pm UTC

namikoIf I had the time, tech savvy, hardware, money, and sanity available to do such a thing, why the hell would I make suggestions in the first place?
I think now would be a good time for all of us to thank Liam for making the time and putting so much of his tech savvy, hardware, money, and sanity into keeping this place running.

An air of entitlement is hanging about at present.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • RPM Flow: „Pathway“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts