Best Linux horror game (DRM free)
Rooster Sep 4, 2019
Hi penguins. I'm looking for a good scary atmospheric horror game available DRM-free, natively on Linux (I currently don't have Wifi at home, so I need to download it to my laptop and then copy to my PC).

I'm not very knowledgable in this genre, so what are your thoughts? What is the scariest game on Linux in your opinion?
Hamish Sep 4, 2019
Obviously everything from Frictional Games works on Linux and is DRM free. There are also games like Outlast, Among the Sleep, and Doorways. A friend of mine really recommended Darkwood to me as well.

I myself also maintain Linux binaries of the Chzo Mythos games if you want to go old school:
https://icculus.org/~hamish/chzo/

I am not the best person to say which is scariest though. I love Penumbra, but more for the plot and aesthetic.
Liam Dawe Sep 4, 2019
Outlast is seriously intense, do try it.
WorMzy Sep 4, 2019
Layers of Fear was the last properly scary game I've played.

There's the Amnesia games (Dark Descent, Machine for Pigs), but I consider those more exploration with mandatory stealth sections rather than horror. I've not played the Penumbra games, and only played the start of Soma, so I can't comment on those.
Rooster Sep 5, 2019
Quoting: WorMzyLayers of Fear was the last properly scary game I've played.

There's the Amnesia games (Dark Descent, Machine for Pigs), but I consider those more exploration with mandatory stealth sections rather than horror. I've not played the Penumbra games, and only played the start of Soma, so I can't comment on those.

It's interesting to see Layers of Fear compared positively to Amnesia, usually it is the other way around. So for scary atmosphere, would you say Layers of Fear is better? From the footage I've seen, it seemed as in the formula in Layers of Fear is usually: You get locked in a room until you find something specific. Scary thing happens. Then you find something else, another change to the room, another scary thing. Than the game either lets you out of the room or jumpscares you. Is that incorrect?

I assume Amnesia is better in terms of story and mystery.
Rooster Sep 5, 2019
Quoting: GuestI don't play horror games a lot, but I can certainly recommend games made by Frictional. I have really enjoyed the story and atmosphere of "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", and now I'm enjoying SOMA.

As for comparison with "Layers of Fear" - personally I prefer Amnesia. I think it's pretty scary because of scary Lovecraft-style story, dark environments and the feel of danger while hiding from the gatherers, while LoF... For me it felt like simple jumpscare roller coaster. The jumpscares can frighten at times, sure, but in comparison with games by Frictional it feels bland.

And how is SOMA compared to Amnesia? From what I heard, it is more thought-provoking scary than atmospheric scary like Amnesia.
HadBabits Sep 5, 2019
Quoting: RoosterAnd how is SOMA compared to Amnesia? From what I heard, it is more thought-provoking scary than atmospheric scary like Amnesia.

For me Amnesia was like: I'MMA BOUT 2 DIE OH FUCK FUCK FUUUCK *Endless running*

Whereas Soma left me more like: Oh fuck, I'm going to do die one day... I'm gonna go take a walk.

If you like horror for the adrenaline of the chase, I'd go with Amnesia. If your looking for horror that will follow you after you close the game, I'd go with Soma :)

(Soma has chase bits too, but they're the weakest part of the game imo)
razing32 Sep 6, 2019
Quoting: Rooster
Quoting: GuestI don't play horror games a lot, but I can certainly recommend games made by Frictional. I have really enjoyed the story and atmosphere of "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", and now I'm enjoying SOMA.

As for comparison with "Layers of Fear" - personally I prefer Amnesia. I think it's pretty scary because of scary Lovecraft-style story, dark environments and the feel of danger while hiding from the gatherers, while LoF... For me it felt like simple jumpscare roller coaster. The jumpscares can frighten at times, sure, but in comparison with games by Frictional it feels bland.

And how is SOMA compared to Amnesia? From what I heard, it is more thought-provoking scary than atmospheric scary like Amnesia.

I agree with the oher sentiments here.
Amnesia is your classical horror , being surrounded and chased by monsters.
SOMA is more existential horror. What does it mean to be and ceaseing to be. What is conciousness , what are "you" ?
(can't say more without spoiling)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.